Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Backspacing is simply a measurement of the distance from the back outside edge of a rim to the back of the center of the rim, where the rim comes in contact with the lugs. It tells you the distance that a wheel and tire combo, will set in relation to hub. The larger the number the further into the wheel well and the smaller the number further it will stick out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There was a post somewhere in the forums. They talked briefly of back spacing. I don't recall much about it now where to find it but I remember it said that 4.5 was the magic number for the Jk.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
There is no single magic value for backspacing. You want as close to stock as you can get away with but the max acceptable value goes down as the tire width and diameter go up.

The pic posted by Old Dogger clearly shows how to measure it. Often when manufacturers only list the offset value and there are conversion tables to easy convert offset to backspacing for any given rim width.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys. That helps a ton. Now....... what is it for? I guess spinlock eluded to it? If your wheel get's wider than you can keep the mount of the wheel the same distance from the axle as it was at factory?

So Wheel spacers do the opposite? I kind of like the look of the wheel sticking out, ever so slightly, and was considering spacers. What are the negative effects of going out a little on a JKU?

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,001 Posts
Thanks, guys. That helps a ton. Now....... what is it for? I guess spinlock eluded to it? If your wheel get's wider than you can keep the mount of the wheel the same distance from the axle as it was at factory?

So Wheel spacers do the opposite? I kind of like the look of the wheel sticking out, ever so slightly, and was considering spacers. What are the negative effects of going out a little on a JKU?

Wheel spacers, or adapters as they are called, because they have studs, also move your wheel out further. There are different thickness of adapters. The favorite is the 1.5".
So your stock factory wheel has a BS of 6.25. You add a 1.5" adapter to it, and now you BS becomes 4.75. In other words, 6.25"-1.5"=4.75"

As to negative effects:

1. Your tires will sling mud and rocks onto the side of your Wrangler, causing some paint chips.
2. Your scrub radius has changed, so it won't steer as well.
3. It is adding additional stress to your hub bearings, and Ball Joints.
4. Over all, your wrangler will not handle as well!!!!!!!!
5. You now have a second set of studs and nuts to keep torqued!

These are just some of the negatives, in moving your wheel/tires out further. But it is a must, for running the larger wider tires, or if you just want a wider stance!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts