Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up an inexpensive backup cam and have a question about the wiring. Everything seems simple enough except for one wire.
Looking at the attached pic, I will be connecting “A” to a 12v adapter that is en route to me so I won’t have to splice into the factory wiring.
“B” is connecting to the factory head unit and will be enabled with JScan.
So where does that leave “C”? I’m assuming the head unit will turn on the camera when it’s in reverse and not rely on tapping into a reverse wire. So I won’t be needing to do anything with “C”. Correct?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the B connection in conjunction with the vehicle radio won’t send the reverse signal? I’ve watched install videos and most tap A into switched power like the 12v/cigarette lighter. I ordered a harness that provides pos and neg connections off of the 12v plug.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
So the B connection in conjunction with the vehicle radio won’t send the reverse signal? I’ve watched install videos and most tap A into switched power like the 12v/cigarette lighter. I ordered a harness that provides pos and neg connections off of the 12v plug.
The "A" connection is your hot/ground. Connect that to your lighter.
"B" is your video connection to the radio.
"C" is a universal wire which some vehicles (head units) need and some don't. You won't need it so tape it off.

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
So where does that leave “C”? I’m assuming the head unit will turn on the camera when it’s in reverse and not rely on tapping into a reverse wire. So I won’t be needing to do anything with “C”. Correct?
I am unsure what "C" is, without seeing the entire black cable (your pic cuts off the view of the back cable on the left edge).

I know for my rear camera, the long cable (the cable that will eventually run from the rear mounted camera to the dash area), contains both video and power, and splits them apart at the dash end. Without seeing the rest of the black cable, I would almost need to guess that "C" is for power (making the other power connections redundant).

Also, the factory head units do not offer any means to turn on the camera when in reverse. I wired in that function that myself, by connecting to the backup lights for camera power. BTW, the backup lights are the only lights that aren't current monitored by the computer, and are actually feed thru an isolation relay. So, no problem powering a camera.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Also, the factory head units do not offer any means to turn on the camera when in reverse. I wired in that function that myself, by connecting to the backup lights for camera power. BTW, the backup lights are the only lights that aren't current monitored by the computer, and are actually feed thru an isolation relay. So, no problem powering a camera.
Yeah.... good point.
You can wire the cam to power up when shifting into reverse with the reverse lights if you wish, or you can run the cam permanently on in 'run' or 'acc' (cam powered by 12 volt outlet). Either way it really doesn't matter with the stock head units. It's the aftermarket head units which need the cam on full time (power from the 12 volt outlet or similar).

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
C, is used to tap into the power accessory port under the climate control head to supply power to the camera(powered on anytime key is on), you will still need to ground the black wire in A, but the red in A will not be used.

A, if that is the back of your harness, is to used to take power and ground from the rear of the vehicle. Using this, you can take power from the reverse lights for the camera, only powering it when you are in reverse, or your rear power accessory plug.

In either case, powering from the acc port, or the back of the vehicle, you will have to connect the ground in the back.

Which ever red wire you use, just tape off the unused red wire so it does not short out.
Like others have stated, if you are using a factory head unit, the camera does not need to be powered on all the time.

Good luck with your project, and please stay safe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts