Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for ideas for a rear view mirror camera system to install in my '11 JKU. I am open to all ideas, but I want it to look professional, and would prefer to replace the stock mirror instead of covering it with a new mirror like most kits do. Anyone have any ideas, or installs they have done? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I am looking for ideas for a rear view mirror camera system to install in my '11 JKU. I am open to all ideas, but I want it to look professional, and would prefer to replace the stock mirror instead of covering it with a new mirror like most kits do. Anyone have any ideas, or installs they have done? Thanks.

I used a mirror from Rydeen. It has Nav, blue tooth, ack up camera, inputs for two other cameras also. I believe the latest ones come with auto dimming too. Mounted a license plate camera to the spare dead center initially, but with new wheels have it through the spokes. About $400 , but looks professional and many have commented on it favorably in person. Got the smaller mirror and the screen is just fine. I didn't like the factory nav when I ordered. Easy install took less than two hours to do. Just Google Rydeen.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ghetto backup camera... $9 Fresnel stick on lens but you will have to turn your head to look back. Available at the ubiquitous Internet retailer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do a google search for Mitto mirror that is what you see in all most all OEM applications. I install around 15 to 20 a week easy to DIY and cost effective as well.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
I don't know what the rear view cameras cost that use the mirror, but I have an aftermarket Kenwood Nav radio. You can buy a camera that uses the screen. I don't know if you already have NAV or want it though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It depends do have the spare on and did you retain the stock third break light location? If you have the both of them I mount it on the third brake light mount or in the space between the bumper and the cargo door. There are many types of cameras advent,audiovox, which are both the same, boyo is another one. These are good cameras and inexspensive.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Where do you typically install the camera on a JK?
MITO sells nice looking mirrors. They also sell cameras. A few of them mount on your license plate frame. Not sure if they stick out like a sore thumb or not but that is an option if you don't want to find a hidden spot to mount a camera.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts