Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A newbie here. Waited almost 60 years to get my first wrangler. I have been reading the forum and although there is a lot about backup cameras, I was unable to find exactly what was the overall opinion of the best one to install with a 730N system. Which one would be the least intrusive into the workings of the wrangler. Hoping to get one to put in the spare tire.
Thank all of you for time and trouble with this issue.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Basically there are three ways to do it. Install camera with adapter and have the dealer flags the wrangler computer. Get a system like the AEV camera with bracket and a disk to flash the jeep (radio). Or get a my gig lock pick and a camera. The last you plug into the back of the radio and the camer(s) plug into the mygig. You can hook up to six cameras this way. Also gives you some other options. I went with the mygig lockpick and have been happy with it for three years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for such a straight forward answer. I hope all will bear with me while I adjust to this new-found addiction.

·
Registered
49 Posts
20% Off Your Brandmotion Backup Camera Purchase!

A newbie here. Waited almost 60 years to get my first wrangler. I have been reading the forum and although there is a lot about backup cameras, I was unable to find exactly what was the overall opinion of the best one to install with a 730N system. Which one would be the least intrusive into the workings of the wrangler. Hoping to get one to put in the spare tire.
Brandmotion has a solution for you! We would love to recommend our spare tire mounted back up camera, it sounds like the perfect fit for what you're looking for. There are 2 different brackets available depending on the type of wheels you have. Because you're a Wrangler Forum member, we'd like to offer you a 20% discount on our Wrangler cameras, just use the code WRANGLERFORUM20 at checkout.

genes jeepsquare.jpg

Our fixed bracket has an OEM camera meant for factory wheels and our adjustable bracket works with both factory and aftermarket wheels. They simply mount on your spare tire holder behind the tire, with a camera head poking through the center.

This video should help clear things up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GjZ1yJIqE

You can find all the kits online at: www.brandmotion.com

Available Kits:

For Factory Wheels:
8838composite.jpg

9002-8836 Camera Bracket with 3.5" LCD Display Mirror
9002-8837 Camera Bracket with OBDII Programming Module
9002-8838 Camera Bracket with RCA and Factory Connectors (for aftermarket and factory displays, factory displays require programming)

For Aftermarket Wheels
8848 Composit.jpg

9002-8846 Adjustable Camera Bracket with 3.5" LCD Display Mirror
9002-8847 Adjustable Camera Bracket with OBDII Programming Module
9002-8848 Adjustable Camera Bracket with RCA and Factory Connectors (for aftermarket and factory displays, factory displays require programming)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a question about this unit.
Can it be used in drive or only in reverse?
I would like to have the ability to see better out the back when driving down the road as well as having the reverse feature.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also what is the difference between the 9002-8837 & 9002-8847 units?

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
There really isn't a best one. As Kraxler already mentioned, there are a lot of options. I don't think any are all that intrusive. Tecnhically, your 730 is already equipped with the ability to have a back-up camera, it is just turned off at the factory. I also went MyGig Lockpick V.5. Some people have issues with them (especially the older ones), mine has been great.

Just depends on what options you want and how much money you want to spend.

I went with Lockpick because I wanted to unlock DVD in motion for my kid, and becaues I wanted to run multiple cameras (I run a babycam as well). I also like having the ability to set my rear camera to "off", "on all the time (for however long I want it)", or "on in reverse only".

When I turn my on, the default mode is babycam with with the rearview cam showing up only in reverse.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Panthermark, what rear camera are you using?
The Brand Motion set up will not work in drive mode only reverse so I heard from them.
I like their camera and now am thinking the Lockpick may be the way to go.
I also have the 730N in my 2015 JKUR Hard Rock.
I do not need the baby camera but might think about a forward camera if there is a record feature to use with both the front and rear while driving possibly.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Panthermark, what rear camera are you using?
The Brand Motion set up will not work in drive mode only reverse so I heard from them.
I like their camera and now am thinking the Lockpick may be the way to go.
I also have the 730N in my 2015 JKUR Hard Rock.
I do not need the baby camera but might think about a forward camera if there is a record feature to use with both the front and rear while driving possibly.
I have the Gino camera from Amazon.
But, it is mounted in my bumper.
http://www.amazon.com/Flush-Waterproof-Reverse-Backup-Camera/dp/B00B2ZD7OS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431716943&sr=8-1&keywords=gino+camera
I really like mine (I got it 2 years ago), but people have reported some issues as of late, probably because has been dropping and dropping, so I'm guessing the quality has as well. It is down to 12 dollars.....

I also have a forward facing (non-mirror image) license plate mounted camera that is mounted to my rolbar. That is what I use as a baby cam. When I turn my kid's carseat around, I'll put that camera up front, but there isn't anyway to record an image.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Basically there are three ways to do it. Install camera with adapter and have the dealer flags the wrangler computer. Get a system like the AEV camera with bracket and a disk to flash the jeep (radio). Or get a my gig lock pick and a camera. The last you plug into the back of the radio and the camer(s) plug into the mygig. You can hook up to six cameras this way. Also gives you some other options. I went with the mygig lockpick and have been happy with it for three years.
G'day Kraxler, how many cameras do you have hooked up? how to you toggle through them all with this set up?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
G'day Kraxler, how many cameras do you have hooked up? how to you toggle through them all with this set up?
Thanks
I have two hooked up but you can do six. They can be switched automatic or manual or combination. I have the backup switch on automatically when I go into reverse. The front i selectoff the screen from the added menu. Can have it come on automatically with brakes. You can have two turn cameras that come on with turn signals, or manually. I don't remember what the last two are for but you can do anything you want with them

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have two hooked up but you can do six. They can be switched automatic or manual or combination. I have the backup switch on automatically when I go into reverse. The front i selectoff the screen from the added menu. Can have it come on automatically with brakes. You can have two turn cameras that come on with turn signals, or manually. I don't remember what the last two are for but you can do anything you want with them
Thanks mate...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Some folks have had problems with coastal customer service but have not. Had an issue upon install of things not working correctly. I called them and the emailed me a patch with instructions. The update went fine and has worked great since then. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed a Pyle nightvision backup cam.
plugged it (yellow RCA) in to the Pyle touchsecreen/Nav head unit.. No image..
Back of stereo has a brown wire marked "back", is this to be wired somehow into the transmission or the back up tail light?

any help is appreciated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts