Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the basic install has been covered before on other sites and here for this compressor, but I thought I would share how I decided to mount it BACKWARDS!

I will apologize up front for the long post, and bad iPhone pictures, but I hope it is helpful to someone else.
I searched for threads on installing the ARB CKMA12 extensively before taking on the simple job of putting mine in. I found only a few write-ups so I thought I would share how I went about it.
I used the Synergy compressor bracket. It is clear that they build it to work with the ARB going off the same layout that ARB used with their bracket, but of course is is longer to also work with Viar and others. When I looked at other installs online I always thought, “why not put the air line to the front? It is so busy in the back and side.
Sorry I did not take pictures as I went along but I was working it out as I went and of course forgot.
When you flip the compressor around the overall footprint of the compressor is the same but the 4 holes offset perfectly towards the front of the jeep.

What I did is use one set of the supplied holes (second set forward counting from the back) and then used the ARB bracket that comes with the compressor as a template to drill the other two fronts.
Here are about where my 4 holes ended up. (pic 5 below)

This moved the compressor forward of course but it is still centered in about the same position since the mounting holes are offset opposite the piston. This also put the piston to the back with the air filter so It should pull cleaner air, reduce vibration on the bracket mounting studs, plus this gave me much more room to attach and remove the air hose.

Look at all that room in front of the compressor.

Owners with sPod may not be able to do this and that is why it is default to mount the other way but without a sPod I believe this works out much better.

Also note I did not feel the need to use the Brake Booster extension hose and L that came with the Synergy with this compressor and setup. It it close, but would be up a little higher as well.

ARB relay – I found the ideal place for the relay is on the back of the horn mount (2014 JKU), take the nut off and the relay hole matches perfectly, replace nut and done.

Wiring – I decided I did not want to drill and run wires so I went with a wireless 12v switch and relay (AGT 12 Waterproof from Amazon). I later found out Pep Boys also sells a similar item that comes with more connectors. It wires up really easy. +, - and one wire to activate the ARB relay is all that is needed. If you go with an under the hood switch of any type the only ARB wire that needs to get positive + current is the red spade wire on the main harness and the compressor kicks on. So of course I did not use the plastic plugs or end harness from the ARB package, just some spade connectors and shrink tubing. If I had thought about it and tested before, I may have just used a spade connector and manually connected and disconnected it. You could also accomplish this with a fuse.

One last gripe and fix- The switch I got has two buttons A,B, so it can control two items. But you push one switch (A) to turn one channel on and again to turn it off.

There is no indicator light if it is on or off, and the compressor only runs for a short burst until the pressure switch kicks in. So there is no indication if the unit is on or off.

My solution= when I wired the wireless switch I put in a fuse and used the fuses that have an led in them to show when they have power but the fuse has been blown (I got good quality ones). So I purposefully blew one of the small fuses that came in my multi pack, and used a short piece of wire and a female spade connected one end to the switched out of the switch box (same as connected to RED ARB wire) and attached another female spade connector to the negative that matched the same circuit. Electrical taped around it and now when the circuit is on the fuse glows. Good enough for me. It was a quick and easy solution since I had it all lying around from this install.

Hope this is helpful to someone.
JC

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Picture of the Fuse as ON indicator

I could not figure out how to get pictures to be inline from Dropbox so they are at the end. Here is the Led Fuse ON indicator. One wire I still need to heat shrink is in this pick so feel free to give me a hard time about that.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts