Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had an small EVAP leak code for close to 4 months now with out being able to locate any bad hoses or lines. Because of this I assumed it was somewhere above the fuel tank.

Today I filled up, drove 7 miles to work, didn't notice anything. Walking to my car after an 8 hour day I could smell gas from 10 feet away and sure enough there was a massive puddle of gas below the tank skid. The skid was very damp and it was obvious gas had been dripping out of the drain holes.

A fix is definitely going to require dropping the tank, but I don't have a transmission lift readily available.

Is it possible this is still EVAP related? Or does this have to be filler hose or fuel pump gasket related?

Also am I correct in believing with a more full tank, vapor pressure will be higher, thus exacerbating the evap leak issue? If thats the case I'm hoping to nurse the issue for awhile longer by just not filling all the way until I can find a tranny lift..

thanks for any insight, you guys always give me peace of mind when picking up a wrench..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A pneumatic shop stool and some 2x's work too. You improvise quick when you start taking the bolts for the skid plate off when your tank is full and you don't realize that that's whats holding it up there. :facepalm:
haha sounds like something I would do

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can get the tank close to empty, you can definitely do without the transmission jack.
do you suggest a standard floor jack with a 2x4 or something to help balance? I have only the standard bottle jack that comes with the jeep but I could probably find a friend with a real floor jack.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
do you suggest a standard floor jack with a 2x4 or something to help balance? I have only the standard bottle jack that comes with the jeep but I could probably find a friend with a real floor jack.
The floor jack would definitely be the better choice. When reinstalling, you typicaly need to move the tank around to get it aligned.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You can empty it... Disconnect the main line up at the engine. Run a hose to some jugs and then jumper the fuel pump relay.
The pump will empty it in a few minutes or so.

Hook battery charger up to take care of that draw..

I just did this last week... to drain 5 year old gas...
With no back pressure the pump will get busy...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts