Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems with my break lights for a while now. I replaced my turn switch back in August because all my lights were acting up. My break lights still don't work rite. I am lost. Here's what they do.
If I hold my foot on the break, my drivers side always works. If I tap my left turn signal my pass side and third break light comes on. With my foot still on the break I can tap my right side turn signal and the lights go off. I say I tap the turn signals because I barley have to touch it. I do not have to actually turn on my blinkers.
Any ideas??? I have checked all my plugs and have cleaned them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced my multi function switch today and It did not help any.... Any other thoughts? This is really irritating me.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad ground. Do you have tail light guards?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,408 Posts
My next suspicion would be the safety flasher switch since it is connected to all the turn and brake signal circuits.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'd look for trailer wiring... if someone's been in the wiring behind the tail lights, the wiring can get corroded if they don't make proper sealed connections. I've seen some hack jobs that caused issues like this. The flasher that Jerry mentioned is attached to the multi-function switch... did you get a new one of those, or are you just swapping the old one to the new switch?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd look for trailer wiring... if someone's been in the wiring behind the tail lights, the wiring can get corroded if they don't make proper sealed connections. I've seen some hack jobs that caused issues like this. The flasher that Jerry mentioned is attached to the multi-function switch... did you get a new one of those, or are you just swapping the old one to the new switch?
I just switched over the flasher. I question myself about replacing that today while I had it apart. May try that next since it is easy to do.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
yes I do have taillight guards.
You should remove them. The tail lamps ground to the body through the mounting screws and it is well documented that the guards lose contact between the lamps and body causing loss of grounds.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should remove them. The tail lamps ground to the body through the mounting screws and it is well documented that the guards lose contact between the lamps and body causing loss of grounds.
I have been wanting to put on some round flat tail lights. So I will try the flasher relay first and if that doesn't work then I'll have a reason to do the new taillights. Thks for the help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts