Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday between running errands my aftermarket andriod radio stopped working. I figured it was probably a blown fuse. I haven't driven it until I went to start it up today and the battery was totally dead. I haven't gotten a chance to check fuses or anything. Is it possible a head unit could go bad and take out my battery? I have a powered sub and a seperate 4 channel amp hooked up as well, but those have been on for a number of months now without problem, and I didn't see any wear/rubbing where I would suspect with a quick inspection of the power cables.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm an engineer but electrical was never-ever my thing. Just don't understand it a bit.

I put on my little 12v 1.5amp charger yesterday and tried starting her up today around 2pm. Didn't go. I threw on my jumpstarter. It didn't take.

So I charged my battery overnight but I didn't take the cables off. I'm assuming whatever electrical leak I have is large enough that the battery didn't get the juice.

This is all under the assumption that my battery didn't spontaneously die. Its only ~7 months old AGM from autozone (house brand).

So I put my cables on the battery alone (no car connection cables), after about 2 hours my voltmeter was reading about 6.5, I just checked and its reading about the same.

Is it possibly my head unit is still good, and my battery shit the bed randomly while doing errands? The head unit wasn't getting the voltage necessary? ... but then my alternator should be able to handle it, I would think....

Any electrical engineers out there?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Why don't you have the battery tested?

Even this salesguy knows that's the next step.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah sorry. I've been extremely busy, I've had very little time to troubleshoot it and I getting it running has been low on the priority list. I have time tomorrow to deal with it.

Anywho, I threw a multi meter on the battery this afternoon after been charging for 18 hours or so, and it's still reading 6.8v or so. So I suppose it's just a bad battery. I've never had one fail on me like that.

Anyone know what the warranty policy is on an autozone branded battery without a receipt? Lost that now too

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
There's a decent chance they can look it up without the receipt, so you may as well take it in.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
<snip>

Anywho, I threw a multi meter on the battery this afternoon after been charging for 18 hours or so, and it's still reading 6.8v or so. So I suppose it's just a bad battery. I've never had one fail on me like that.

<snip>

Yeah, it seems that batteries now fail without any of the warning signs that they used to give. One day they seem fine, the next day poof, they are dead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts