Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To get started let me tell every one a little about us and what we have and why we doing this build. My name is Joe and I have a 1987 YJ that I have had for a few years (the black one). My girlfriend (Heather) and I have been enjoying mine and she decided she wanted one of her own. So we found one that has been parked for a while because the clutch went out and front axle has a bad pinion barring. (So we though) Well we bought it and was going to fix what is wrong with it and the more we go into it the more we found wrong with it.

The body is in good shape with no major rust or dents and the frame is also in good shape but every thing else is not so good. When we went to pick it up we got the engine running and it seemed to run ok. We thought it needed a tune up and we would be good. Get started working on and pulled the drain plug on the engine there is so much slug in the oil pan that nothing came out. I had to stick a screw driver in it to get any old out. Also the front pinion shaft is broke instead of just a bad baring. So at this point we decided to back up and start over. Now we fixing to do a rebuild and do it right.

I hope you all enjoy and give us your feedback because this is her first Wrangler and her first project vehicle. I hope she has as much fun rebuilding it as she will driving it.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ha! Looks like you got quite a project going there! Have fun, I bought my 2016 Wrangler just a little while ago and I love it. Sometimes I wonder though if doing a full restoration like you guys are doing might be more satisfying! Good luck and please post pictures when you are done!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We got out yesterday and got the body pulled off. It looks like we have a change of luck. The chassis and underside of the body looks good so far. We going to get out there and try to get them washed and striped down this weekend. I hope we are able to get the motor apart in the next few days so we can order what we need to rebuild.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We pulled the engine off the chassis and torn down this afternoon. It had some issues but not to bad. The PO must not have ever changed the oil in it because the pan was full of gunk. It was so bad that it has starved the engine from oil and done some damage. Number one rod barring was not there and the crank has some scaring and the rod is trashed. I'm taking the crank to the machine shop tomorrow and see if it can be turned. Also it has a wiped lobe on the cam shaft so now we have to have a new cam shaft. I hope to get the crank back soon so we can get the engine kit ordered. Until then we are going to get every thing cleaned up and ready for rebuild. Also we going to get the axles out and get them apart so we can see what we have going one there. Maybe we can get to putting back together soon.

By the way Heather is having a ball doing this and learning a lot as we go. She is like a kid on a play ground. Hopefully she keeps up the excitement and good work through the whole project. I don't know who is loving this more, me or her. I'm loving working with her and watching her learn about her YJ.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have never seen so much sludge, ever... That is insane!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes that was a lot so sludge in the oil pan. I'm sure that's why it wiped a lobe and chewed up a baring.

As of right now we are not going to send the block to the machine shop. Every thing looks good with just and inspection. We are going to mike mains, check the deck and run a blade hone in the cylinders first and see how it looks. If it is questionable then we will send the block out. If every thing checks out then no we are not. We are going to go disassemble the head this week and have it checked. Hopefully both will be fine and we don't have to replace either one.

Thanks for the interest and I will keep every one up on how thing are going.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
With that much sludge, I'd send it out to get it "hot tanked" to make sure all the oil galleys are clean.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After checking it out today we decided to go ahead and take it to the machine shop and get it cleaned and checked (head also). I hope to have them back sometime next week. The guy was quick with the crank shaft and called me today and said it is ready. :bop:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok we got a lot done in the last 2 weeks. We have the body striped, cleaned, sanded and bed lined. We went with the Dark Gray Monstaliner for this jeep and it turned out great. I have helped a few buddies on there projects and thought it turned out and is holding up great. I have only rolled it on every truck I have ever done but after doing a full tube now I will spray the underside and inside of the next one. it was a PITA to do the bottom of a Jeep with rollers and brushes. we finished it yesterday so now we are cleaning and painting other parts while we wait on the bed liner to cure. We hope to start the reassembly later this week.

Also we have the block and crank back and a truck load of new parts. we are going to start back on the chassis this weekend. hope to get the axles out from under it and apart so we can start cleaning all that.

I do have a question for every one. We are going back with 33's on it but taking the long @$$ spring hangers off. If we do a spring over and stock Shackles how will it tuck 33's.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Is the tub heavy?
when I did my frame off, I reinstalled the tub onto the frame by myself by picking one end of the tub up and rolling the chassis under it, so I'd say it's heavy.. but not real heavy

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I do have a question for every one. We are going back with 33's on it but taking the long @$$ spring hangers off. If we do a spring over and stock Shackles how will it tuck 33's.
You will have plenty of room for 33's if you go spring over. The tub came out real nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts