Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
It's either the starter or the flywheel ring gear. If it's a manual trans put it in gear and try rocking Jeep to get engine to turn a little and then try starting. that should tell you if it's the starter or flywheel ring gear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's either the starter or the flywheel ring gear. If it's a manual trans put it in gear and try rocking Jeep to get engine to turn a little and then try starting. that should tell you if it's the starter or flywheel ring gear.
Thanks! So if rocking the jeep gets it to start, its the flywheel?

·
Registered
741 Posts
That would be a good indication of flywheel issues. If some teeth are missing on the flywheel and the starter happens to be exactly in the spot of missing teeth you will get what you are experiencing. Also a bad starter solenoid can cause the same effect.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be a good indication of flywheel issues. If some teeth are missing on the flywheel and the starter happens to be exactly in the spot of missing teeth you will get what you are experiencing. Also a bad starter solenoid can cause the same effect.
Going home to test now, crossing my fingers for a bad starter!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Typically you grind off ring gear teeth by attempting starts with engine already running

Just based on tooth count gear size the teeth on the starter have to be harder as they get used a lot more since the gear is so much smaller
So it they collide the softer ring gear teeth generally get the damage

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
741 Posts
My guess would be starter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: I tried starting the tj again when i got home. I didnt rock the jeep or anything. I very gently got in and turned the key....it fired right up. And it ran perfectly. I didnt drive it much, i just pulled it around and into my garage. So what do we all think? Starter? If so i will go buy and and swap it in tonight.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Still could be either as usually there remains just enough rub from the damaged teeth on a flywheel to get it to move a little and eventually engage

Could also be mechanism in starter that kicks gear forward failing

When I replaced a burnt up starter (from key stuck in on position) on wife's 04 Rubi I went with duralast gold

Good price free no receipt required lifetime replacement warranty just bring in starter and say your phone number

Fortunately never had another issue going on four plus years with that starter

Why not oem
Price
Available today
Warranty if ever burn up another get free replacement
Easy to replace
Will never leave you stranded with a manual tranny as can bump start which is how I got the wife's Rubi home

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: I replaced the starter, the jeep now starts up fine, but now it makes an awful low volume screaching noise kind like if the starter and flywheel gear mesh wasnt getting along. I looked at what flywheel teeth i could see when the starter was off and the teeth looked fine. The old starters teeth looked a little worn, but nothing bad.

Any ideas what would cause this?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: I tried starting the tj again when i got home. I didnt rock the jeep or anything. I very gently got in and turned the key....it fired right up. And it ran perfectly. I didnt drive it much, i just pulled it around and into my garage. So what do we all think? Starter? If so i will go buy and and swap it in tonight.
I wonder if the new starter is bad?
When you installed it everything seemed to line up okay?
Yes, it went on great. In fact after lining it up, i lined it up again just to double check. Im returning it to oriellys today during my lunch break and going to get an oem one from the dealer. I would like to be done with it for good.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes, it went on great. In fact after lining it up, i lined it up again just to double check. Im returning it to oriellys today during my lunch break and going to get an oem one from the dealer. I would like to be done with it for good.
Sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone so much! My jeep is alive and healthy again. Never buy a starter other than a brand new oem one from the dealership. It was only $40 more than the oriellys one but it works perfectly unlike that POS one from the parts store. Again thank you.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Not gonna agree
The duralast I got for my wife's Rubi costs less has free lifetime replacement and has need fine for years

If it did fail a bump start and on your way and takes less than 5 minutes to change

Plus they are just rebuilt oem anyway

Absolutely no reason to pay steelersjip price for a starter

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not gonna agree
The duralast I got for my wife's Rubi costs less has free lifetime replacement and has need fine for years

If it did fail a bump start and on your way and takes less than 5 minutes to change

Plus they are just rebuilt oem anyway

Absolutely no reason to pay steelersjip price for a starter

The oem one i got was new. They had a new and a rebuilt option at the dealership. Total was $160 after turning in my old starter. I cant comment on the duralast, just the oriellys one. The brand was ultima.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts