Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the seal behind the rear pinion yoke. Everything came apart fine but as I was checking the fitting on replacement parts I noticed the threads at the end of the shaft which the yoke gets bolted on to are bad. Is this fixable with a die or some other tool? I'm hoping the rear axle doesn't have to be disassembled. If I can clean up the threads what is the thread pitch or any other relevant info for this? Thanks in advance for any info!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd put my dial caliper and gauge to it, and find a die to fit.

I've found it's much easier to deal with boogered threads earlier rather than later.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I think the thread size is 7/8"-20 my friend had to clean up the threads after he lost a few driveshafts and buggered the threads up really bad. He never had any problems after chasing them i think he used a snap on chaser bar because split dies were crazy expensive at the time.

·
Super Moderator
12,670 Posts
I have a spindle re-threading kit (Mac Tools) that I had to buy for some repair or another many years ago. If you knew the size and pitch, you might try to borrow or rent a tool like the re-threading kit.
A machine shop might have a gauge that can measure the size and pitch, plus they might even have a die that will cut the threads.

My ******* past is catching up with me..... Once you discover the size and pitch of the threaded end of your pinion shaft, you can buy the correct sized die and cut it in half. Then fit each half on the undamaged part of the threads, install the handle to turn the die and back it off. That way you'll be only cleaning up the buggered part of the threads, not cutting new threads over the old ones.
I've never done this, so don't take it as a suggestion. Just take it as something to think about. If my description isn't clear enough, don't be shy about asking any questions.

Google "two piece threading die".

Here's some pics
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=two+piece+threading+die&qpvt=two+piece+threading+die&FORM=IGRE

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: MechMessiah

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If the damaged threads are just the first few on the end you can clean em up w a grinder
Just gently grind off the damaged parts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all! I'm getting some thread files and gauges so hopefully, I'll have my darkness (my name for her) up and running soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts