Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting. First time Jeep owner. What I have: 1995 wrangler YJ, 2.5l , 5 Speed. I the guy I bought it from made these changes to it. 4 to 6" lift with spring over. Changed front and rear gears to 4.88 chrome mollys with a detroight locker in the rear. He had 33x12.50 M/T tires on it.
When I first got it it had a vibration, he said it was the big tires so I believed him. When you drive there is a small vibration as you go faster it gets louder and stronger. The motor runs find the trans pulls great shifts with no probelms at all. I checked the u-joints they seem to be tight. I can move the drive shaft in a round motion at the trans alittle bit. You can turns the front drive shaft back and forth a little bit as well. when you do that you can hear a clack noise in the transfercase and it moves the rear drive shaft a little bit. I have tried to write everything I can to describe the problem. Help!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Tires probably aren't balanced, start there. And if you have a slip yoke eliminator you probably dont need a transfer case drop, i dont know much about yjs though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No not yet. Still trying to figure it out. I am going to take some pictures of the drive train and upload them today. Some time today I am going to take the rear drive shaft off and drive up the road a bit to see if the vibration goes away.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
See if you can find someone with another set of wheels you can run for a day and see if your vibration goes away. At least that way you could know for sure before springing on a new set of tires.

If I remember right... the wheels from 87-95 Wranglers or Cherokees would work as well as some of the 4x4 Ford Rangers (they have the same Dana33 axles)

Or, rotate your tires and see if the vibe moves to a different spot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Take a picture of the rear driveshaft angle.
The front on the transfer case comes with a fixed yoke.Did you mean he installed a SYE on the rear output?Does it have a CV Driveshaft?Were the perches rewelded or atleast shims installed for the driveshaft angle?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am trying to figure out how to add pictures to the post. I have photo bucket. But I can 't seem to get it to work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I may have just found the problem. I was so sure it was the in the rear of the jeep, that I didn't look that close to the front. I grab the front shaft and the u-joints at the axle are shot. so I am going to replace them both on the front axle. we shall see if this fixes the problem. I will let you know...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts