Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

I am just looking to check my thoughts on this one as I have been away from Jeepin' and working on vehicles for several years.

1999 Jeep TJ 4 banger, 5 speed.

In 2wd I get bone-shaking vibrations in anything more than 1st gear. I put it in 4hi and it smooths right out, but then return with about 1/3rd the vengeance when I take my foot off the gas.

I'm thinking u-joints on the front shaft? The last time I drove the jeep in the fall I thought I heard some squeaking and such from underneath with some minor vibration, but I was just farting around for a few minutes in low in the backyard and in the rock pit at the end of our road.

Other ideas?

Thanks

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Probably a good bet. I would disconnect the front drive shaft at the pinion, tie it up out of the way and go for a ride. If vibes are gone, pull the front shaft and rebuild it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably a good bet. I would disconnect the front drive shaft at the pinion, tie it up out of the way and go for a ride. If vibes are gone, pull the front shaft and rebuild it.
Thanks. I was going to pull the shaft and see, but I just noticed it this morning on the way to work as it's the first time the Jeep has been on pavement in many years. At least u-joints are cheap.... but laying on the concrete garage floor in the middle of winter is not my idea of a good time. I wouldn't have even known about it except the daily driver is in the shop for a few days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulled the front shaft last night and as it turns out, there is slop in the pinion.

Good times.

Thanks for help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts