Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this winch? At only $299, it seems like an ok deal for a 9000 lb winch. Opinions or reviews?

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can catch the 12k lb version on sale from time time of the same brand for the same $299. Ive ran two of them before with no complaints. One was mounted on my 1990 w150 with 35"s, and one on my FJ cruiser with 35s. For the price and warranty they are hard to beat. They arent noisy, run relatively cool, just arent the fastest thing. But if your stuck or recovering someone who cares. If you get one, they also sell a wireless controller for around $30 id highly recommend

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own one, I'm having problems with it that may have indirectly caused me severe engine damage. See my thread about water in crankcase, my JK spent a lot more time in the water than it would have if my winch had worked properly.

To be fair, my winch problems may be related to a wiring/amperage problem, and not directly a fault of the winch itself (I have yet to pin it down) , but I wouldn't have to question it if I had bought a Warn. Instead, I saved $600-800 on a cheap ass winch and may have cost myself a motor.

Mine (12k) stops pulling when there is a load on it, it spools in and out without a problem without a load, but as soon as I needed it, it failed me. Line would tighten up, and as soon as there was tension, it would stop pulling, solenoid would click but no go. Once the engine is fixed, a quality winch is next on my list, and I've likely wasted $300 on a piece of equipment I cannot trust.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My brother has one on his jeep cant remember if its 9k or 12k but he loves it for around the farm use and occasional winch out. Its not a good winch for a hardcore offroader. Its kinda one of those thing oyu get what you pay for. If ur wanting it for mostly looks and ocasional use i say go for it. I have plannedon getting one just havent saw them on sale lately

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've got the 9000lb one. It's saved me once, hopefully it'll be ready next time too. Wait for it to go on sale for $199 then use the 20% of coupon that's on the back of every Harbor freight ad.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I can not say anything bad about the HF winches but I paid $400 for my Smitty bilt 8Kwith synn rope and have never had a issue it has been used a lot for the extra $100 I feel it was well worth the money I had to pull a 3/4ton dodge buried to the frame that had been stuck all night I had to have 3 other jeeps hooked together then to me as an anchor and the smitty did the job it groaned but by god it did it and no one thought it would started with 1 jeep as an anchor and ended up with 3 so I have no complaints about the Smitty when and if?? this one dies I will buy another.just my 2cents

·
Super Moderator
15,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Harbor freight makes sells cheap tools for farmers that need a few of everything: one tool for every truck, tractor, and combine, one for the shop and a back-up for each as one is sure to get left in the field or fall out of the cab. For this purpose, the tools aren't meant to last, but they are meant to work when needed, and if they don't you just grab a spare.

For a winch, you are putting a fair amount of time into the install, and if it is needed off road, it will likely work just fine. If it doesn't, you might be in real trouble. OTOH, if I'm a farmer and my winch fails me, it's a mile hike to the next field, grab the tractor and use that in place of the winch.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Check out tuff stuff 9500 for around 300 dollars I used the 12500 2 times it pulled me out of a barrier sandbox in the creek.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts