Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out what year of engine I have in my 89 YJ. It's a Frank-en-Jeep... and originally had a 2.5. Now its an I6. Anyway, I can't decipher this block code to save my life. I was TOLD it's a 4.2 258 but now I'm wondering.... :banghead:

The first two digits are extremely lightly stamped, the remaining are quite apparent.. I just want to verify the year and size... HELLLPPPPP!!!

Anyone help me with this code??? = 906CLI2

·
Registered
67 Posts
Correct and the 8th vin code should be M when ordering parts for the 4.2L if it's carberated. I don't know of any other vin codes for FI motors

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its definatley carbed now however who knows what the engine was originally. This YJ has had a ton of work done to it over it's life. Some good and some not so good.

I can't figure out why the code on our engine has 7 digits instead of 6 as I've seen on the link I posted below. I guess my worries are that it's a 232 instead of a 258. Obviously knowing the year and engine code will be EXTREMELY helpful with this project.

http://street2mud.com/webfiles/AMC Engine codes.pdf

Thanks for your help so far!!!! :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, didnt they stop making the 258 (4.2) in 1989?????

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes they stopped in 89-90. And you could have the rare possibility of a 4.5L or bigger if some one mismatched engine parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts