Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I just ordered mud tires for my YJ, I've been wheeling it on All Terrain tires for close to a year. I'm new to the Jeep and off road thing but from my experience with cars, tire balancing is pretty important. My father in law, who is also my mechanic, told me there was no need to balance a tire. He infact has not balanced tires on any of his personal or work vehicles.

I could understand not balancing tires on a trailrig, but my Jeep sees alot of street time. I'm thinking of mounting them and driving for a bit to humor him but I'm guessing they will need balanced.

Can anyone back him up? Am I crazy and totally been wasting my money on tire balancing?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Unbalanced tires will cause vibration. If you live in an area where you only drive a few miles a day and don't drive fast, it probably wouldn't impact you as much.

Mud tires are going to be bigger and heavier and therefore have the potential to have more of an impact on vibration, if they were mine, I'd balance them.

·
Registered
30,436 Posts
I've heard the same thing using airsoft pellets. Haven't done it myself though. I can say that my YJ had a hell of a wobble, getting the tires balanced fixed it

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking balancing would be even more important on a mud tire. Some of them I read reviews on, said they needed extra weight to balance because the tire was so off balance from the factory. Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy, sorry if I sound like a noob.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I paid for dynabeads in a set of Hankook MT's which utterly sucked.

Ended up with doing the Road Force balancing and that work perfectly. My 35's wobbled like crazy before balancing. I mean if you can make it to 80MPH without chipping a tooth on pure rubber, then no need to balance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts