Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently installed the teraflex 2.5 lift with shocks no problems. The jk rode fine with stock wheels & tires for 2 wks. Installed 35x12.5 kumho at. Install guy used beads for balancing and said it may wobble a few days but will get better. Well its not. Its so left too right that when I do hit a rough spot it throws me all over the place. I would definitely not take it on the highway or a long trip its that bad. What should I do from here? Im leaning towards making him remove the beads and go too weights. Is it possible we just need more beads? Any recommendations? Thanks unfortunately im learning as I go.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I am currently running weights...havent had an issue running 35x12.5x15 GY MTR kevlars. Some people that have vibrations even after getting weights put on will take it to a place that has a Roadforce balancing machine which still uses weights but typically uses significantly less weight.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Where's Ken??? Lol

I have a friend thats having trouble balancing his 35's. He finally tracked down the Hunter Roadforce guy & he told him they make small rubber weights that go inside the tire & thats what he needs to use - not the weights on the outside.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I am currently running weights...havent had an issue running 35x12.5x15 GY MTR kevlars. Some people that have vibrations even after getting weights put on will take it to a place that has a Roadforce balancing machine which still uses weights but typically uses significantly less weight.
Ditto

My 35x12.5x15 MTRw/Ks balanced well and ride good so far.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've run lots of big tires and feel your pain. You should remove the beads, and watch them get balanced (use weights). Look for an out of round tire (a rectangle will balance, but it's "out of roundness" can only be cured by trading it for another new one). Also it may have side to side wobble. You'll see that if you watch the balancing. Again, it'll ride like crap.

Discount Tire sold me a set of KM's 285/75/17 on new wheels. They weren't balanced well. Took it to friends shop, added about 1.5 oz avg per wheel - rides fine.

Your tire guy should want you to be happy and ought to rebalance them and return any that are out of round. You don't want to pay $2K for tires and wheels and be unhappy.

The do make dynamic balancers (rings with fluid or BB's) that go between the wheel and hub that help. I've run balancemasters and centramatics - they work but I start with a balanced wheel first.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Ive found that bubble balancers work exceptional also for large tires. A method used for motorcycle tires. We redneck fashion this process and it works good.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
pkmcd99 said:
Ive found that bubble balancers work exceptional also for large tires. A method used for motorcycle tires. We redneck fashion this process and it works good.
I just thought of a video I saw watching a guy use a harbor freight bubble balancer on YouTube lol

Sue lol

Screw big tires. Good luck Op :)
No ..... I just kidding.

My problem is the dude that owns the shop has this thing against mud tires. "You are never going to have a smooth ride"
Def have to find a tech that experiments and try's a few different things.

OP - what beads are you using ?

I tried the smaller dyna beads. I did not have enough in the tire plus they would stick/clump and cause a bad shimmy.
I thought about trying BB's or even the bigger beads.

I hope Bob try's the patches and they work so he can balance mine :D

Other that that, pretty much given up.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Install guy used beads for balancing and said it may wobble a few days but will get better.
That guy is an idiot. Time has nothing to do with it. They're either going to balance out or not. Go back, make him put the tires and wheels on a Hunter machine and do a proper road force balance. Actually, have someone else do it. I wouldn't trust him.

I've tried running beads as a balance media several times with two different sets of tires and two different sets of wheels. I could never get it to work. It sounds nice on paper but doesn't realistically get the job done.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Plain ole prehistoric weights here, on 35's. No issues.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
15's :facepalm:

That's ok.... Mr hunter Saturday :thumb:
Is it the 15's that are causing the problem? And if so, why...cuz of the clearance issue with weights and the brake calipers?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. The beads are getting removed tomorrow morning and he will be using weights and yes I will be watching him.
On another subject they say I need to add adjustable lca so they can align the front end. I see I can also buy aev brackets or cam bolts. Which do you guys prefer. It sucks learning as you go but when im finished it'll be fun.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I recently got 35x12.5 km2s on 15x8 mb72s from Discount Tire, and I have had no issues. Was able to throw them on, and actually think they ride nicer than my previous Duratrac 33x12.5

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've go some 37 KM2's that are driving me nuts. One tire was so bad I made them replace it. They are worse than some bias Swampers I had back in the day. So weird, cuz I've had nothing but great results from the KM's on my TJ. The local discount tire was fighting me in replacing them and getting something different. Hardly any miles put on them, but they said I waited to long to bring them back. It was close to a month. Guess who's not getting my business in the future? Frustrating, good techs and a good shop are priceless.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I had some issues with balancing. I had the Road Force balance done from recommendations. It fixed my issues. I have heard some have issues with bigger tires were nothing fixed the issue and had to get new tires to fix it, I haven;t really heard many get it fixed with beads though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts