Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to narrow down a noise my jeep is making. I honestly don't know when it started since you can't hear it unless the doors are off, but it's been at least since March. Above 25 MPH, it sounds like ball bearings are in a coffee can being spun around. I can't hear it above ~35 unless I'm in a tunnel or under a bridge.

Any ideas as to what can cause this? I've already asked around but haven't narrowed anything down yet.

Also, I'm getting a clank out of my front, passenger side tire area when I'm stopping, and a clank when I completely turn my steering wheel one way or the other.

List of things I've recently (last <3 months) replaced and it's been doing the first sound since before then: ball joints, front wheel bearings, front control arms, track bar, front and calipers. Only noticed the clanking sound about three weeks ago. I replaced the track bar since the first time I heard the sound.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The ball bearings in a can sound is most likely your catalytic converting breaking up inside. The ceramic bricks are banging around in the converter.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would that not set off my CEL? But thank you, I'll see if I can't take a look at that.

I'll also check my rotors and calipers out, although my rotors are only a year and a half oldish, and my calipers are about 3 months old. Guess I could have something jammed in there.

·
Registered
281 Posts
when the cat failed on my old truck it sounded just like that and no not necessarily my cel didn't go on til i was barely able to stay speed on the freeway. Are you experiencing a loss of power or other drivability problems? The other problem could be a loose caliper or brake pads or the control arms could be loose unless you torque them down I would go over the track bar and control arms to make sure they are tight

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The bricks can still be working, just loose.

Not sure if your year has an O2 sensor after the cat(s) to check it or not. Be aware that some years have 2 precats by the engine and a 3rd on the skid.

Mine has O2s after the 2 precats, but nothing on the 3rd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts