Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some new ball joints. Have 35s but will soon be 37s. I've heard synergy dies quickly, but dynamically is pretty pricey. Anywhere in between? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If you are doing the labor, it doesn't matter much what type you get as long as you don't mind doing it again. If you are paying someone to do the work, I'd spend the extra for Dynatrac ProSteer.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Terraflex makes a good ball joint. They're less expensive than Dynatrac and have a reputation of being far better than Synergy.

The only issue is that the lower Terraflex ball joint sticks up a little high. Some people have had to clearance their axle shafts to make room for the body of the joint. I had no issues on mine.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,008 Posts
images dynatrac.jpg

^^^These are the Dynatrac ProSteer Ball Joints.
Expensive, but appear to be of high quality. Cost about $500.

I am having these installed in mine, right after the first of the year.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Synergy does not wear out faster.

I'd do those, TF , XRF or any reputable brand really.

Dynatrac while looking pretty and we'll built, still have to be rebuilt which costs what brand new synergy ball joints cost!

No brainer really

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dynatrac while looking pretty and we'll built, still have to be rebuilt which costs what brand new synergy ball joints cost!
What do you mean by they "still have to be rebuilt"? I'm pretty sure they come ready to be installed.

They are by far the best, and also by far the most expensive.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Used to use Spicer on my TJ. Would get between 65k to 80k on them, and you can always find a complete set for around $100 or so.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Rebuilt rather then replaced like most joints. I dont know how to rebuild those joints but his point was with the cost and less work.
I would have thought that the "rebuild feature" is a plus, not a minus. I read Dynatrac's instructions on how to rebuild them, and it looks like you don't have to remove them. Having said that, I know a few people who've been using them for years and they still haven't had to rebuild them.

I've been looking into them for a while for my JK, and yeah, $500 is a tough pill. For a DIY, you also need the right adapters for the C-clamp press, since I understand that not all loaner tools and cheap sets have them. If I don't find the tools on the cheap, I'll go with Crown HD.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,008 Posts
Any ball joints can fail, if you beat them hard enough and don't grease them.
So the question is, which Ball Joints will take the most abuse, before failing?
I don't know, but these do have a very good reputation, from what I have read.

ProSteerRebuildKit.1 REBULD KIT.jpg

^^^If greased properly with a quality grease, then rebuilding them will probably never be need, but there is a rebuild kit available, just in case...:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
It seems strange to hear so many stories of Synergy, DT, etc wearing out quickly. my stock are nearing 40,000 miles and still good. I was all hyped on the Rare Parts ones but sure would like to see some long term reports.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Meaning the can physically be rebuilt after wearing out for nearly what brand new regular bj's can be had for.

So say you by them new for 600...they last for say 30k and have to be rebuilt for 125 and last another 30k you are at 725

If you spend 200 on Napa joints and again after 30k you are at 400 total.
I'll save half!

Not to mention, if you somehow F one of the DT's trying to remove then your truly screwed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So say you by them new for 600...they last for say 30k and have to be rebuilt for 125 and last another 30k you are at 725

If you spend 200 on Napa joints and again after 30k you are at 400 total.
I'll save half!
The math is right, and I thought about it too.

However, it's based on the assumption that the Dynatrac will last as long as any other replacement. I personally have no experience with them and I'm new to Jeeps, but long time Jeepers that I know are convinced they last longer. I don't know... at some point soon I'll have to decide which way to go.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,008 Posts
It seems strange to hear so many stories of Synergy, DT, etc wearing out quickly. my stock are nearing 40,000 miles and still good. I was all hyped on the Rare Parts ones but sure would like to see some long term reports.
Yep, and I know a fellow that has a 2010 JKUR. He has over 80,000 miles on his original Ball Joints. He does go off highway at times. But, he still has the 6.25 BS original wheels and runs 32's.

You talk with somebody else, and they will tell you at 15,000 miles, theirs are worn out.
Luck of the draw I guess!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
Yep, and I know a fellow that has a 2010 JKUR. He has over 80,000 miles on his original Ball Joints. He does go off highway at times. But, he still has the 6.25 BS original wheels and runs 32's.

You talk with somebody else, and they will tell you at 15,000 miles, theirs are worn out.
Luck of the draw I guess!!!!!
yes it is crazy. I have been running 4.5" rims with 35's and stock rims with 33's with 1.5" spacers since new. I drive pretty fast compared to many off road so I am pretty amazed mine are still going strong. I have a good buddy (panhead) who works in a large dealership and he says OEM is the only way to go. Hopefully he will see this and post. I agree luck of the draw.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I know a lot of folks running Synergy BJ and Dynatrack and have yet to hear they failed or needed replaced or rebuilding. Out west we wheel often and lot of rocks on out trails.
Several shops that I visit say they never see the two brands fail. I ran Synergy on my 09 Jk and now on my 2015 Jk. Both on 37's. Never had any issues.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts