Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Which way are you pressing? Is there a lip on it preventing you from pressing it out (perhaps from a hammer ;) )?

Try heating the actual ball joint and quenching it with water to see if you can shock it some to free it up? Let it cool and try again (and get rid of that lip holding it in)?

·
Registered
787 Posts
have you removed the one from the other side? you sure you are pushing the right way? My son-in-law broke my ball joint press, he was pushing the wrong way, joint was never going to come out. not trying to be an ass, but maybe you are pressing the wrong way. I have done several ball joint jobs on my jeeps and for some friends and even helped the in law and I have never had one that was stuck so bad it broke my press.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Crank down on the press then hit the knuckle with a hammer. Crank down again - hit knuckle again. Repeat. It should break it free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I am having a hell of a time getting my lower driver side ball joint out.
From the pictures, you have mushroomed the top of the joint. And it's not coming out unless you get rid of that lip. Nor do you want it to come out that way; you will enlarge the hole in the axle.

I have broken two ratchets...
That's why breaker bars were invented. Ball joints are tough even with the correct tools.

Any tricks?
Kroil. Then get rid of the lip.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Crank down on the press then hit the knuckle with a hammer. Crank down again - hit knuckle again. Repeat. It should break it free.
X2.

Just did mine a week ago and would tighten, smack, tighten, smack, and they came out without issue. Make sure you are using the correct adapter too. I broke my ratchet cause I was using the adapter that sets them to remove my very first ball joint.

Reactions: trickydoc

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Just did mine a week ago and would tighten, smack, tighten, smack, and they came out without issue.
Did you look at the pictures? When the joint has already been mushroomed, the "without issue" train has already departed the station. "Tighten and smack" is going to have to wait until that lip gets removed.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
At this point you will need to grind off the top of the joint probably down to flush with the yoke.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Did you look at the pictures? When the joint has already been mushroomed, the "without issue" train has already departed the station. "Tighten and smack" is going to have to wait until that lip gets removed.
I thought it was the upper, my bad. Yes, get rid of that lip. If it was mine I would try trimming it with a dremel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts