Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
Since I got my 01, which had a 6" lift on it, I have done the tie rods, went back to a stock pitman arm, and even changed out the steering box, which had some play in it. MUCH better, but on the highway, it still wanders, and I'm constantly correcting the steering. There is no pull, just some looseness in the steering.

So I'm going to do the ball joints this summer, and have two questions (done them once before on my 87 MJ):

Someone recommended these: Amazon.com: Spicer 706944X Socket Assembly: Automotive

Are they a set of uppers, lowers, or one side upper/lower?

Last question: can anyone recommend a good tool. When I did the joints on my Comanche, I borrowed one from Autozone and it fit poorly, making the job much harder, and probably dangerous to my hands/fingers than it needed to be. I remember someone mentioning a set that fit Jeep ball joints well. Anyone?

Thanks!

Tom:beerme:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Hey guys
Since I got my 01, which had a 6" lift on it, I have done the tie rods, went back to a stock pitman arm, and even changed out the steering box, which had some play in it. MUCH better, but on the highway, it still wanders, and I'm constantly correcting the steering. There is no pull, just some looseness in the steering.

So I'm going to do the ball joints this summer, and have two questions (done them once before on my 87 MJ):

Someone recommended these: Amazon.com: Spicer 706944X Socket Assembly: Automotive

Are they a set of uppers, lowers, or one side upper/lower?

Last question: can anyone recommend a good tool. When I did the joints on my Comanche, I borrowed one from Autozone and it fit poorly, making the job much harder, and probably dangerous to my hands/fingers than it needed to be. I remember someone mentioning a set that fit Jeep ball joints well. Anyone?

Thanks!

Tom:beerme:
That only shows and upper and a lower so you would need two sets. (I didn't verify the part numbers though)

As far as a BJ tool, OTC is the way to go...be sure to get the 4x4 adapter with it. If that's too expensive, try a parts store loaner but ask for the adapter. When removing them, once you get some good pressure on them, smack the end of inner C with a hammer right next to the ball joint....sometimes they just pop right out or at least loosen a little.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you are missing that on center feel, it could just be a simple toe-in adjustment. most around here recommend 1/16" to 1/8" toe-in. Factory specifies an angle of total toe-in, but the tape measure way gets you pretty close. Do this before spending time and money on ball joints.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey guys Since I got my 01, which had a 6" lift on it, I have done the tie rods, went back to a stock pitman arm, and even changed out the steering box, which had some play in it. MUCH better, but on the highway, it still wanders, and I'm constantly correcting the steering. There is no pull, just some looseness in the steering. So I'm going to do the ball joints this summer, and have two questions (done them once before on my 87 MJ): Someone recommended these: Amazon.com: Spicer 706944X Socket Assembly: Automotive Are they a set of uppers, lowers, or one side upper/lower? Last question: can anyone recommend a good tool. When I did the joints on my Comanche, I borrowed one from Autozone and it fit poorly, making the job much harder, and probably dangerous to my hands/fingers than it needed to be. I remember someone mentioning a set that fit Jeep ball joints well. Anyone? Thanks! Tom:beerme:
I just got mine in the mail yesterday. You will need 2 sets. It is one upper and one lower. As for the instal I can't help you with that. I'm having a local shop instal mine and do a front end alignment for me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey guys Since I got my 01, which had a 6" lift on it, I have done the tie rods, went back to a stock pitman arm, and even changed out the steering box, which had some play in it. MUCH better, but on the highway, it still wanders, and I'm constantly correcting the steering. There is no pull, just some looseness in the steering. So I'm going to do the ball joints this summer, and have two questions (done them once before on my 87 MJ): Someone recommended these: Amazon.com: Spicer 706944X Socket Assembly: Automotive Are they a set of uppers, lowers, or one side upper/lower? Last question: can anyone recommend a good tool. When I did the joints on my Comanche, I borrowed one from Autozone and it fit poorly, making the job much harder, and probably dangerous to my hands/fingers than it needed to be. I remember someone mentioning a set that fit Jeep ball joints well. Anyone? Thanks! Tom:beerme:
I have the OTC master ball joint kit in my box at work. I'll see if I can get parts numbers for the adapters you will need tomorrow. I don't know if they list numbers on individual adapters. I bought the master set and it came in two different boxes. It was also 400 bucks for it all. There are four adapters in the set you'll need. Two for install, and two for removal.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have the basic OTC ball joint kit but bought a cheaper adaptor set, can't remember the brand, for about 50 bucks. Might have come from HF. You want the OTC c frame as it's tougher than hell. You can really assault the thing with an impact and it always comes back to square. The adapters are basically different size pieces of pipe so the cheaper ones will work fine unless you're going to be using them on a regular basis.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Check your balljoints by jacking up one front tire. Then use a shovel as a lever under the tire and move the tire up and down to see if you can see movement from the balljoints.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts