Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, been a while since I've posted, but have had something come up that I could use some help with.

My '14 Rubi X has about 25k miles on her, been running 35MTRs for about 18 months. Just had tires rotated and noticed a wobble coming (as best as I can tell) from the front passenger side wheel.

Figured the stealership shed a weight when they rotated so had a shop I trust re-balance all 4 tires. Wobble still there at around 40-45mph.

They told me that the ball joint on that side has some play to it, not much but will get worse over time due to the bigger tires. Also said it looked like the front track bar connection on that side was having an issue with the lock/set nut coming loose or "walking" itself out. (Running RK X-Factor lift). was surprised that could happen in less than 2 years; RK's stuff is solid as hell and has a great track record.

They recommended avoiding synergy and going with Dynatrac because they are rebuildable on the Jeep.

Questions:

1. Can the ball joint be causing the wobble?
2. What's the difference between Dynatrac's HD joints and their Prosteer joints?
3. Am I going to need to replace my front track bar too? If so, which one? RK or the TF heavyduty one?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More of a shimmy not so much specific to one tire. Did you try rotating that tire to the rear? What do you mean "walked out" did the jam nut loosen ?
It may not be just one tire, I'm guessing.

It's different than the "vibe" that I was trying to hunt down before they dialed in the geometry. It feels like the very start of death wobble (had experienced that full blown on my old TJ) but only between 40-45mph. Tracks fine, not wandering down the road or anything.

There had been a sound like jingling keys for a couple of days that only happened when coming to a stop/coasting (not brake, gear or engine related) but that resolved itself. Maybe drive shaft?

He had a guy rocking the steering wheel quickly back and forth and said there was play in the joint where the knuckle/joint meets the actual trackbar. He was saying that the threads had loosened or something like that that would continue to deteriorate over time. Think a force that pulls apart on a threaded joint rather than unscrewing it. So the movement is linear through the center axis of the threads and trackbar.

He tightened down the jam nut but said I should keep an eye on it. It wasn't so much that it was loose, but more that he was tightening it to try to stop some of the movement that was pulling at the threads. Again, paraphrasing and partially guessing here.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
My superlift bars have that play when they are not tightened. tolerance just runs a little loose. Once tightened the slack is pulled out. should not deteriorate any as long as it stays tight. I'm cutting my wrenches in half so I can put a long 1" cheater pipe on the wrench

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those jam nuts need like 300 ft lbs of torque.
Yeah, he damn near tore up the nut (or at least started to) trying to tighten it.

Could that be causing my issue or just something to keep an eye on?

I don't want to pay $1,200 to have a set of Dynatracs installed only to find out that wasn't the problem.

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
Yeah, he damn near tore up the nut (or at least started to) trying to tighten it. Could that be causing my issue or just something to keep an eye on? I don't want to pay $1,200 to have a set of Dynatracs installed only to find out that wasn't the problem.
Stock ball joints are garbage. I would def plan on replacing them regardless. Will it solve your issue ? Cant say, but a good start.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stock ball joints are garage. I would def plan on replacing them regardless. Will it solve your issue ? Cant say, but a good start.
Yeah, there's know guarantees in life or Jeep, but you know WAY more than I do about these things.

Is there any real difference between the DynaHD and Dyna ProSteer, besides about $50?

Thanks again for all your help since I started this build and for always being here to help folks out.

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
Yeah, there's know guarantees in life or Jeep, but you know WAY more than I do about these things. Is there any real difference between the DynaHD and Dyna ProSteer, besides about $50? Thanks again for all your help since I started this build and for always being here to help folks out.
I did not know there are 2 part numbers for DT joints ... News to me.

Check out the Rare Parts joints too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts