Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I moved up to 37's it is time to replace my ball joints. Trying to decide between Dynatrac and Rare Parts. It looks like the prices are nearly the same so that isn't a deciding factor. I like the "idea" of the Rare Parts dual load carrying feature. Anyone have any real world experience with them? What are the opinions out there between the two?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I had the Dynatracs on a PR44 and now on a PR60 and haven’t had any issues. But I have a low mileage vehicle so I can’t speak about longevity.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do drive it about 150-200 miles a week so longevity is important, although I have never heard a complaint about that from people with Dynatracs. Actually I've not heard any complaints about them. I guess I'd like to hear from some folks that have used the Rare Parts and what their thoughts are.

·
Super Moderator
22,909 Posts
I think the biggest issue with Rare Parts is they are jut that rare in the real world because the are so expensive. Most are not willing to take a gamble due to the cost.

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
Some have had issues with RareParts Ball Joints. Others, like my sister in-law, have had good luck with them.
As I recall, someone is selling RareParts Ball Joints as another brand for less money, was it Skyjacker or someone?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the biggest issue with Rare Parts is they are jut that rare in the real world because the are so expensive. Most are not willing to take a gamble due to the cost.
Some have had issues with RareParts Ball Joints. Others, like my sister in-law, have had good luck with them.
As I recall, someone is selling RareParts Ball Joints as another brand for less money, was it Skyjacker or someone?
I have seen the Skyjacker ones and they look just like RP's...not much cheaper though. As far as expense it seems as either brand(Dynatrac or RP) is somewhere between $550 and $600...unless I'm missing something?

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
I have seen the Skyjacker ones and they look just like RP's...not much cheaper though. As far as expense it seems as either brand(Dynatrac or RP) is somewhere between $550 and $600...unless I'm missing something?
I haven't looked at the Skyjacker version of the RareParts ball joints in a while. But when I first saw them they were cheaper than buying them directly from RareParts. Perhaps that is no longer the case.
Either way, both the high end Dynatracs and the RareParts ball joints are pricey. As I recall, the Dynatrac ball joints can be re-built while still installed. If that is true, that is a really nice feature. I am not sure if that would also apply to the RareParts ball joints. Assuming not, that would make me lean towards the Dynatracs.
Currently we have TeraFlex ball joints, and so far so good (roughly 40,000 miles on them with 37" tires).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't looked at the Skyjacker version of the RareParts ball joints in a while. But when I first saw them they were cheaper than buying them directly from RareParts. Perhaps that is no longer the case.
Either way, both the high end Dynatracs and the RareParts ball joints are pricey. As I recall, the Dynatrac ball joints can be re-built while still installed. If that is true, that is a really nice feature. I am not sure if that would also apply to the RareParts ball joints. Assuming not, that would make me lean towards the Dynatracs.
Currently we have TeraFlex ball joints, and so far so good (roughly 40,000 miles on them with 37" tires).
This is very interesting to hear! The TF set is much cheaper...if I could get even close to 40K out of them it would make sense to go with them. I could replace 2 sets for less than the cost of either of the others!

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
Another aspect to the Skyjacker version of the RP ball joints is you can probably get a discount on Skyjacker but you likely won't get a discount on RP.
I am happy with the TF ball joints. So far so good, and they clear the RCV axle shafts.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Rebuilding the dynatrac on the Jeep is super easy...go dynatrac...
Have you actually done it? I’ve heard rebuilding is a PITA and the kit is $100+. If true, the “rebuildable” feature seems less appealing.

OP: Check out the new synergy BJs. The originals weren’t all that great, but the new adjustable ones look better.

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
It sounds like the new Synergy and new TeraFlex ball joints are very similar. I wonder if they are made in the same factory.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Have you actually done it? I’ve heard rebuilding is a PITA and the kit is $100+. If true, the “rebuildable” feature seems less appealing.

OP: Check out the new synergy BJs. The originals weren’t all that great, but the new adjustable ones look better.
Sure have and no it's not a PITA ....there's a learning curve on the first one but you can rebuild all 4 in about 30 minutes....the worst part of the job is waiting the 3 hours for the special loctite to cure....you glue on new seals on the lowers...no big deal tho....

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sure have and no it's not a PITA ....there's a learning curve on the first one but you can rebuild all 4 in about 30 minutes....the worst part of the job is waiting the 3 hours for the special loctite to cure....you glue on new seals on the lowers...no big deal tho....
Good to hear. One day I’ll probably have to rebuild mine.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have Rare Parts ball joints. Only problem is that they are still sitting in the case they came in a year later. I can't seem to find enough time to get my welding equipment home long enough to weld the C gussets on. And that is going to happen before I replace the ball joints. Someday.........someday.........I'm gonna get those f**king gussets welded in........grrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m going to have c gussets welded on at the same time as the ball joint install also. Seems like a perfect time.
I have Rare Parts ball joints. Only problem is that they are still sitting in the case they came in a year later. I can't seem to find enough time to get my welding equipment home long enough to weld the C gussets on. And that is going to happen before I replace the ball joints. Someday.........someday.........I'm gonna get those f**king gussets welded in........grrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
561 Posts
I’m going to have c gussets welded on at the same time as the ball joint install also. Seems like a perfect time.
Yes it is. When I weld my gussets in I am leaving the knuckles and factory bj's assembled until the welding is done and has cooled down slowly. Once everything is cool I'll disassemble everything and then install the Rare Parts bj and put it all back together. Kinda using the factory bj's as a sacrificial fixture to make sure everything stays lined up correctly.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm no expert but in the forum searching I've done on the topic I've seen complaints about pretty much all of the options except the Dynatracs. Their only downside seems to be that they are a lot more expensive than most other options, though in the grand scheme of aftermarket Jeep parts the difference is not that great (of course thinking like that on every part can add up to many thousands over time).

And that's a good idea of welding with the old joints in place. If I get around to doing gussets I won't be welding them myself but will keep that idea to suggest to the shop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts