Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 5-tire rotation a week or so back, nothing new for me. However, after bringing the rear tires to the front I had some feedback from the front end. It occurred to me that the left rear tire, which is now the left front, had taken a 1/2" chisel through the tread and needed two rayon plugs to seal the hole. Figuring that may have been the problem, and not ball joints, I had the fronts balanced. One was static balanced, but not the one with the plug. Seem to still get some feedback, but nothing close to wobble.

So my '14 JK only has 26k, so still thinking tire, not ball joints.

Question is, should the two rayon plugs cause a balance issue, and if so, does it become a dedicated spare?

Never had any front end feedback in either of my '14 JKs, and the first one had 46k when it was totaled.

Is it time to check the bjs?

·
Super Moderator
15,372 Posts
I've never had a plug (or two) affect the balance. I wouldn't suspect a BJ would be worn in 26k on a 285, but you never know.

What pattern of rotation do you use? Psi OK?

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
While I would double up plugs to get home, I would not continue to drive it that way. That is not recommended.
It is easy to check for play in the steering and ball joints.
I am not sure what you mean by "feedback".
Static balancing is not how you want your tires balanced. Spin balance at a minimum, road force balance if you can.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never had a plug (or two) affect the balance. I wouldn't suspect a BJ would be worn in 26k on a 285, but you never know.

What pattern of rotation do you use? Psi OK?
I'll get her up on jack stands and check the bjs. If that shows nothing I'll rotate again.

S-->RR-->RF-->LR-->LF-->S

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I would double up plugs to get home, I would not continue to drive it that way. That is not recommended.
It is easy to check for play in the steering and ball joints.
I am not sure what you mean by "feedback".
Static balancing is not how you want your tires balanced. Spin balance at a minimum, road force balance if you can.
I haven't done a double plug in the same hole either. It was on the rear when it happened, but never noticed any thump-thump after the plugs on rear until I moved it forward.

Feedback as in tire unbalanced or mini wobble. It doesn't act like bjs, and I've had 6 hard axel Jeeps over the years.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
With your bare hand, lightly feel the surface of the LF tire, moving your hand back and forth. I will bet you will find some slight feathering on the edges of the tire blocks. I had that issue years ago and a knowledgeable tire man told me to always reverse the rotation when you rotate the tire. If you do it often enough, before the feathering is enough to feel, all is good.

On a four tire rotation that is easy enough to do, you simply cross rotate the tires. On a five tire rotation it is more difficult to do. Most five tire rotations do as you posted or on the other side, but both have the issue of moving a rear tire forward on the same side

I agree with the others that driving with a tire that has a plug is not the best idea, although some have had no issues, and you have one with two plugs in the same hole. When I purchased my TJ the spare had a plug and it stayed the spare. There were issues with the other tires (three different years of manufacture among the five tires), so about a year later I bought 4 new tires and the best of the old ones became the spare and I cross rotated the ones on the ground.

Starting with my 2015, I wanted to do a 5 tire rotation, but didn't like any that I say, because they all moved one tire from rear to front without reversing, so I developed my own. I start on the opposite side of your pattern putting the spare on the right rear. But you could make one slight modification to your pattern as follows - move the left rear to the right front, then the right front to the left front. (Reversing rotation more important than moving front to rear.

So S->LR->RF->LF->RR->S

But in the meantime, I would let the tire with the plug ride the spare mount. When you put 5 new tires on the Jeep sometime in the future, go to the above pattern. Just my two cents worth.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
It sounds like you need to get the tires balanced better. Static balancing is not very good for this. Even standard spin balancing is not enough sometimes. Road Force balancing is the best option.
It sounds like tire balance issues, and if the ball joints and other linkages are fine tire balance is what is left. That said, I would replace the tire that has two plugs in the same hole. If the tires are overly worn, you may want to replace more than just the one. But if the tires still have plenty of life left just replace the one.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With your bare hand, lightly feel the surface of the LF tire, moving your hand back and forth. I will bet you will find some slight feathering on the edges of the tire blocks. I had that issue years ago and a knowledgeable tire man told me to always reverse the rotation when you rotate the tire. If you do it often enough, before the feathering is enough to feel, all is good.

On a four tire rotation that is easy enough to do, you simply cross rotate the tires. On a five tire rotation it is more difficult to do. Most five tire rotations do as you posted or on the other side, but both have the issue of moving a rear tire forward on the same side

I agree with the others that driving with a tire that has a plug is not the best idea, although some have had no issues, and you have one with two plugs in the same hole. When I purchased my TJ the spare had a plug and it stayed the spare. There were issues with the other tires (three different years of manufacture among the five tires), so about a year later I bought 4 new tires and the best of the old ones became the spare and I cross rotated the ones on the ground.

Starting with my 2015, I wanted to do a 5 tire rotation, but didn't like any that I say, because they all moved one tire from rear to front without reversing, so I developed my own. I start on the opposite side of your pattern putting the spare on the right rear. But you could make one slight modification to your pattern as follows - move the left rear to the right front, then the right front to the left front. (Reversing rotation more important than moving front to rear.

So S->LR->RF->LF->RR->S

But in the meantime, I would let the tire with the plug ride the spare mount. When you put 5 new tires on the Jeep sometime in the future, go to the above pattern. Just my two cents worth.
You are right on the feathering on the outer lugs/blocks. May have made no difference, but ran it with the plugs for at least 1000 miles without trying to rebalance it. Prolly make this the dedicated spare.

So the LF goes to spare carrier, if for no other reason to just check results. Like I mentioned in my original post, I had NO bj issues prior.

One question for you, the spare now was from the LF, what rotation should I do to keep from putting the old LF back up to LF?

rgreen65, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rotating today. I'll post a follow-up.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So all seems to be well. Pulled the plugs from the LF tire and repaired it from the inside with a patch, and put it on the tire carrier. Did a rotate and all is well.

Thanks for all the input Wrangler community.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts