Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Ball joints

838 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  jjvw
This summer I'm going to be replacing them. What is a good brand mostly a daily driver. Not doing anything crazy just need greaseable joints
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Knows a couple things...
2004 Wrangler TJ with 42RLE auto trans. F/R lockers, 5.38 gears, Warn Winch, Currie 4" Suspension
50,841 Posts
Yes Definitely go with Spicer. These are a good upgraded Spicer which is a direct fit, they're what I installed into my TJ last year...

Amazon.com: DANA Spicer 706944X Suspension Ball Joint Kit, Front: Automotive

If you are also going to install fresh u-joints on the axle shafts, I'd go with Spicer's 5-760x which is a stronger direct-fit version of the 5-297 than the factory installed. Generally speaking, sealed -joints like the 5-760x are stronger and more durable than u-joints are that have a zerk fitting in the body which means there are grease channels running through the body which weakens it.

· Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,434 Posts
Go with Spicer. I 'upgraded' to Synergy last year, and am not happy with the results...less than a year, and already developing play. Yes, they've been lubed regularly, and with Synergy's 'special' grease...

I'll be installing a shiny, new set of Spicer ball joints, tomorrow.

· Registered
4,844 Posts
I went with Spicers and installed them last weekend. Since the entire front end will be torn apart, consider doing the unit bearings, axle u-joints, and steering at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.