Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get some tips/personal experience on you all who change your own U joints/ Ball joints? Trying to decide if i should buy the C press tool and tackle the ball joints or just let a shop worry about pressing them suckers in and out. I would be working out in the driveway with simple hand tools. No air compressor or impact gun. Obviously it's do-able, but with minimal experience, how likely will it be I can get it done in 2 days?

Kody

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
You can get it done is less than a day with a good press. A compressor and impact wrench would sure make it easier though. The OTC press isn't cheap by any means and you have to have the 4x4 kit to go with it.

How much did a shop quote you?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I do it myself ill be getting the OTC with the Jeep adapter kit. Im getting a print out of my alignment then will need to buy the ball joints to accommodate. Shop wants $100 for u joints and somewhere around $500 for ball joints. All parts I bought myself. Its just labor

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If you have moderate mechanical skills it's pretty easy. Some guys use the HF press, but I got the OTC kit with the jeep adapters. I think it cost near $200. You can do it in a day if you are pretty quick. You could consume plenty of beer and get in done in 2.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Easy day with hand tools and a press (I even use the one from harbor freight). I would have loved to drop $300 on a better tool but it's $60, I have gotten plenty of use out if it and there's nothing wrong with it.

Here's a helpful site: http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/balljoint/balljoint-1.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I just did mine in one day I had no press I did it redneck style used a big C clamp and a 3/4" drive socket set used as spacers and drivers. every time I would tighten the clamp than hit the side an front of the inner C on the axle to coax it in. It was quite scary and dangerous.... defiantly get the tool.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can do it. I had only done spark plug changes before I dove into the Jeep.

O'reilly's has the ball joint tool and something they call the 4x4 ball joint adapter kit. I haven't looked at it first hand (just the picture on the rental menu), but hopefully it's the same as the OTC adapter kit.

A breaker bar from harbor freight will also help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just done my ball joints, grinder and air hacksaw to remove, then clean hole up and heat with gas/oxy and drop into hole and quench with water to kill heat before the heat kills the ball joint, do one at a time they fly in. Uj,s just need vice really.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts