Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching my MPGs closely, not because I really care but it has developed into a game I can play on the way to work each morning. See how high I can get it. I typically use Exon gas, which is 25 cents more per gallon for the basic unleaded.

Here I thought I was doing awesome and found some secret.

Then the other day I stopped and got a tank of some off brand of gas... some brand I have never heard of. Now I always thought there was no difference in brands of gas...

I can tell you that with the Exon gas I was getting 17.7 mpg and climbing.. as SOON as I filled up the tank with the crappy brand I dropped down to 16.1 mpg..

I never knew there was much difference between brands.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The window sticker on new jeeps and cars that state fuel mileage is based on 100% gasoline not what we find when buying most of our gas. Ethanol in gasoline decreases mileage. You can do a tank to tank comparison and see instance results.
Here is a link to gas station by State that sell non ethanol fuel--- Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Thanks to the crooked communists like Deval Patrick and other domestic enemies I cannot find any pumps in Massachusetts that sell non-ethanol gasoline.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Thanks to the crooked communists like Deval Patrick and other domestic enemies I cannot find any pumps in Massachusetts that sell non-ethanol gasoline.
This list is growing all the time, you need to do a search for your state. This list grows by people finding and submitting them to the site so they can check them out. Many of us here in Michigan have boats that will not run on ethanol mixed fuels and we demand it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
there is definitely a difference in quality of gas between brands.

if you ever try running gardening equipment with cheap brand gas, they start running rough and developing all sorts of problems. Granted, a weed whacker motor is not built with the same precision as an automobile engine, so the problems are more apparent.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
This list is growing all the time, you need to do a search for your state. This list grows by people finding and submitting them to the site so they can check them out. Many of us here in Michigan have boats that will not run on ethanol mixed fuels and we demand it.
I did, came up with nothing. Off all the pumps I have used in this state I have never seen one that did not say 10% ethanol.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ah, yes, Ethanol based fuels...awesome idea. How could it not be?

1st - ensure we use inferior corn based ethanol
2nd - ensure we upset our ridiculous and outdated subsidy scheme for corn
3rd - use as much gas/energy making the ethanol as we get from the ethanol
4th - pass ridiculous mandates predetermining the amount of ethanol consumption and production in the future
5th - enjoy the result of what any normal person would call "Brilliant!"

After all, by continuing to make cane based ethanol unfeasible with continued marginalization of free trade with South America and propagating the essentially broken way our own Agri-business works and then combining that with a lack of any knowledge of mechanical engineer and economics...how could you not win?

I also noticed my economy taking a hit this past week.

·
Registered
536 Posts
i too have noticed this, and I think it's a lot more obvious in the JK than it was in my previous rides. I completely stopped buying gas from grocery store gas stations, as I constantly got poorer gas mileage. I dont think it's entirely due to JUST the ethanol, because here in Canadia, regular gas has up to 10% ethanol, medium has up to 5%, and premium has 0% ethanol, and in my own tests i've tried both premium and regular, with ZERO difference in mileage over the same 40 mile stretch of road. So i'm really starting to think that indeed, some stations just have crappy gas.

What makes it even harder, is that the Shell by my house gives me better mileage than the Shell by my work, so now i'm really confused

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder...
If you look at most other engines that are about 3.6l and put out about 280 horse (MFG stated hp, not actual wheel hp). Most of the other engines require medium or super gas. My wife has a Murano and she has a 3.2 (or 3.6 I forget) and her car requires medium gas.

I wonder if Jeep made the engine specifically to take low grade gas but to acomplish it they had to do some engineering tricks (have no idea what that would be). As a result we have an engine that has a tick problem and seems to be very sensative to the gas put into it.

I can tell you that the ability to use the cheap stuff mitigated the mileage somewhat, when I was going through the buying process. I did the math and based on a 50 cent per gallon difference and 18 mpg vs 24mpg (my old car).. I am still losing money on gas but not as bad as I thought.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Don't forget, many of us are on winter blend fuels now, which usually result in worse fuel economy.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
aybe that was the change that happened and it has nothing to do with the fact I went to a non-name brand station.. good thought.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ah, yes, Ethanol based fuels...awesome idea. How could it not be?

1st - ensure we use inferior corn based ethanol
2nd - ensure we upset our ridiculous and outdated subsidy scheme for corn
3rd - use as much gas/energy making the ethanol as we get from the ethanol
4th - pass ridiculous mandates predetermining the amount of ethanol consumption and production in the future
5th - enjoy the result of what any normal person would call "Brilliant!"

After all, by continuing to make cane based ethanol unfeasible with continued marginalization of free trade with South America and propagating the essentially broken way our own Agri-business works and then combining that with a lack of any knowledge of mechanical engineer and economics...how could you not win?

I also noticed my economy taking a hit this past week.
GEEZE :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Uh...if u read his first post he doesn't care what he's getting, he just does it for fun. Just cause we drive jeeps doesnt mean we can't also see what we can get for fuel mileage....

if u don't like what he posted then just move on.

I'm up in Edmonton Alberta and have found that if I fill up at little corner store stations (I usually fill up at shell) then my engine light actually comes on because of my emissions sensor (can't remember which one it is...).

Bryce

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
:rofl: I never understood that. You know going in with a Wrangler that physics only allows a certain degree of gas mileage. Any mods progressively takes it's toll. But, I also understand that to some their JK is their primary/only vehicle so to be able to have what it offers and to maximize fuel mileage can be important. What I could never understand is spending a ton of $ for one and then pumping in no name, water in the tank fuel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
:rofl: I never understood that. You know going in with a Wrangler that physics only allows a certain degree of gas mileage. Any mods progressively takes it's toll. But, I also understand that to some their JK is their primary/only vehicle so to be able to have what it offers and to maximize fuel mileage can be important. What I could never understand is spending a ton of $ for one and then pumping in no name, water in the tank fuel.
Good gas mileage in a jeep (like 30+mpg) is not possible - PERIOD. I'm selling a tacoma with better mileage to daily drive the jeep. This brings me back to what we are willing to sacrifice to drive these vehicles.... We sacrafice mileage because of their off road abilities and the fact that they are a blast to drive (6spd. of course - but thats another topic)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts