Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my 92 wrangler in 4x4 high and when it started getting preasure or spinning i heard several loud banging or popping noises coming from around the transfer case. I does fine untill I put preasure on it. Im new to having Jeep so I'm not sure what it could be.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Need more info, finish filling out your profile info. Need to know tranny rear gears etc. Does it still move??? Is it still working in 2H??? Have you looked underneath at all???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I just got the jeep a few weeks ago so my knoweldge on it is limited but here is what I know. It has a danna 44 rear end, it drives fine in 2wd, and even 4wd as long as im not to rough then it starts popping. It has a 4 inch lift and I was under it earlier and I looked at the u joints in the front they have some play in them but not bad enough to make that noise I dont think. I put in 4wd high earlier and left the door open and when I got on it it sounded like the big bang came from under the driver seat so I was thinking the transfer case.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The actuator might not be engaging all the way. I had to lock my fork in place cause it wasn't engaging all the way.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Well you have two things happening when you select 4H or 4L. First you are engaging the t-case diferently and you are locking the right front axle. The transfer case linkage could be out of adjustment causing the popping or the front axle is not locking all the way. If the transfer case is good no issues it is when the front axle doesn't engage all the way it would casue some popping. So time to crawl underneath and start looking at t-case linkage and then the front axle CAD assy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts