Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 4.0L wrangler and its in need of a deeper, noticeable sound. I am leaning towards the monster because i have heard nothing bad about it but would like some more advice on them from people who have them. I am looking at buying a system in the next few weeks. Thanks for any feed back

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Why the need to sound like a rice burner in the hood? there is no one that will be impressed except the home boys.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not going for a ricer sound, i want the deeper, powerful sound. These systems shouldnt have a ricer sound. It wont sound like a rubber band or can exhaust

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Don't have either, but from what I have seen and heard I would go with the Magnaflow. It seems to have a nice deep, throaty sound which doesn't make the Jeep stand out like a sore thumb in regards to sounding ridiculous.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
To me, both Banks and Magnaflow are nothing more than overhyped/overpriced mail-order exhaust systems that can easily be outdone locally.

Go visit your local independent muffler shop who can give you whatever sound you're after. And if they don't get it sounding as desired the first time, they can try a different muffler. Try that with a mail order cat-back. And when I recommend a "local independent" shop, I mean avoid the chain shops like Midas or Meineke who usually charge 2-3X more.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have a little shop right down the road, do you think i should go to them and see what they recommend and see their prices and what not?

·
Registered
48 Posts
For what it's worth (from the FNG here....)
I just picked up my `00 that someone had put on a Flowmaster along with a 3in. tip on the exhaust.
Surprisingly, it sounds pretty good and not "rice burner'ish"... They could have done a better job welding it on (which I plan on fixing,) But driving with the flowmaster on it sounds pretty nice to me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've had the Banks cat-back since October 2012, and I do not recommend it. While it does provide a good sound, I have had nothing put clearance issues with the pipe. First, the portion that arches over the axle was rubbing against the heat shield on the tub, making a horrible rattling sound. The clamp that holds the exhaust tip on was rubbing against the frame also. Now hat I have lifted my TJ, the pipe rubs against my track bar, and if I put the second piece of pipe on, it rubs against the shock absorber. I ran for. While,with no pipe off the muffler, but it was annoyingly loud, so right now I'm just putting up with the pipe rubbing the track bar till I can back to the states this summer, and can get either new piping installed, or a whole new system from a local shop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
why the need to sound like a rice burner in the hood? There is no one that will be impressed except the home boys.
it is a six not a rice burner!
If you aren't going to help why even comment?
Really?

DID YOU EVER THINK MAYBE, JUST MAYBE HE WANTS HIS JEEP THE WAY HE WANTS IT, NO LIKE YOUR'S!?!?!?!?!

YU THINK?

·
Registered
75 Posts
For what it's worth (from the FNG here....)
I just picked up my `00 that someone had put on a Flowmaster along with a 3in. tip on the exhaust.
Surprisingly, it sounds pretty good and not "rice burner'ish"... They could have done a better job welding it on (which I plan on fixing,) But driving with the flowmaster on it sounds pretty nice to me.
HEY AZ YOU IN AZ?
where did you get your setup?
PM me with what you have or got, sounds like what I am looking for...

I too am looking to upgrade.
thanks
d

·
Registered
48 Posts
HEY AZ YOU IN AZ?

thanks
d
I'm originally from AZ, but living in Denver now. But I still get down there a couple times a year.
The previous owner 'attempted' to put it on themselves, so I don't know where they got it. I just happened to crawl under it too look for rust and other issues when I was buying it last weekend and saw it there.
They did a really poor job welding it on - I'll snap a pic of it. I'll also get a sound clip of it too. But what I can tell - it's a flowmaster 40 that's on it, and an AFE 3in tip I think. I'll double check tonight.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the banks on my 98 4.0. I can't recommend it at all. Its not loud or throaty. They also neglected to tell me that I can't use the tip because I have a hitch.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
I have a banks. Its kind of loud but throaty and sounds good. I never had any clearance issues with mine, even with a long arm

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I wish I had gone with a Magnaflow over the Banks one I did put on my Jeep. It's tarnishing/rusting far faster than any SS system I've ever had in a vehicle before. It has been a pita to seal, had it apart a few times now to get it better, and sounds just like many of the ricers I've pulled up next to in town. It's not too bad if you like that kind of sound, but I think I'd have rather done the Magnaflow, as I've had much better luck with them in other vehicles in the past, both sound wise and quality...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have a hitch on mine, i have heard that the banks has issues with tips on hitches. I think im going to try the muffler shop first and see what they can do.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the banks monster and I'm pretty happy with it. Overall it cost me $217 because I installed myself. I have never heard a ricer sound anything like my wrangler so I'm not even sure where that comment came from. It is an improved sound but does not over exaggerate the motor. I also have zero clearance issues and I have a hitch that I use and have zero issues there as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the banks monster and I'm pretty happy with it. Overall it cost me $217 because I installed myself. I have never heard a ricer sound anything like my wrangler so I'm not even sure where that comment came from. It is an improved sound but does not over exaggerate the motor. I also have zero clearance issues and I have a hitch that I use and have zero issues there as well.
im still bewildered at the ricer comment, i wonder if he even owns a jeep. It seems like it would be pretty hard to get a wrangler to sound like one haha

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Why the need to sound like a rice burner in the hood? there is no one that will be impressed except the home boys.
not going for a ricer sound, i want the deeper, powerful sound. These systems shouldnt have a ricer sound. It wont sound like a rubber band or can exhaust
To the ricer comments, the straight 6 in no way sounds anything like a ricer 4 cyl or any V6 with any muffler. I does not "sound" bad.

To the "I want my Jeep to sound mean" thought, I do have to shake my head. Yea it is the american thing for our cars and bikes to sound loud but for a wimpy Jeep 4 or 6 with a big bark is like seeing a Chihuahua with the voice of a Rottweiler. All you would do is laugh. Who really wants to draw attention to themselves and be all bark and no bite?

I have a couple muscle cars, that have bark but there is something to back that up. I do have a Dynomax on the TJ which is barely above the stock muffler. The no brainer reason was I hopped on the 100.00 refund they offer and a Amazon returned new in box cat-back Net total 29.00. According to scrolling banner, the Dynomax refund is back.

·
Registered
379 Posts
HEY AZ YOU IN AZ?

thanks
d
I'm in AZ, Give this shop a shoot and see what they say. I've had a pickup and a Motorhome exhaust modified there. Thinking about going there soon for a new magnaflow on my tj.

Mesa Mufflers AZ

cb

1 - 20 of 31 Posts