Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of having a Banks turbo installed in my vehicle and wanted to post the progress for everyone. My LJ is a 2006 with lots of mods, but nothing that interfaces or comes off the ECM.

Redlands Motorsports began work on turbo install last Wednesday, we had issues due to the Terra Flex suspension, which affected the location of the exhaust, and required extensive modifications to the exhaust tubes provided. However, they finished all that up on Friday afternoon about 3:30, and then it was time to install the tune software for the ECM. The PCM was able to be downloaded from the ECM and backed up, but process failed while trying to backup the TCM. No one was able to help at Banks or Diablo at that late time, so we waited until Monday morning.

Calls, emails and info exchange all day Monday, with same results. Banks suggested trying a new tuner, so I picked that up Tuesday morning and brought it to the shop. Same results. We thought maybe it might be the ECM, so we ordered one. During the calls on Tuesday, Banks suggested a call to Diablo, after being on hold for 20 minutes, Diablo got on a said not to change the ECM, that it was a software issue, and changing the ECM would be a waste of money. Banks then offered to send out a Diablo Trinity, which allows more options while interfacing with the ECM. This morning, using the Trinity, they were able to finally fully download both the PCM and TCM, which were then sent to Diablo/Banks to be modified to allow the use of the turbo.

So, we are in our 5th day of installation, and still not been able to even start the vehicle, on a system that Banks advertises and DIY driveway install ready.

I am not even aware if Sales is aware of this issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We got revised software from Diablo and were able to start and drive the jeep. It does well now, big difference. The moral of the story: plan on more time and trouble, install the software first, but you can eventually get it done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So after all the trouble was it still worth it and would you recommend someone who may want to do this to get the trinity off the bat? I ask because I'm debating getting it for my 05 lj

·
Registered
257 Posts
When I did mine the Diablo tuner also failed. It just kept spinning on the screen like buffering trying to download the lord of the rings movie trilogy on aol dial up! Called banks and they sent a new tuner out next day along with a shipping return box and just asked for cc # and said just return the old Diablo within 30 days. Did you get to keep the trinity? And did it have any extra features?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts