Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a top from a 2003 and am going to put it on a 99. Since the 99 did not have a hardtop originally it has no controls for a rear wiper, washer or defrost.
I'm not worried about variable speeds, just on and off. Can I just buy an OEM rocker switch and put it in the dash or do I need to power the wiper through a relay?
Same question for the rear defrost plus is it even necessary to have a rear defrost. Thanks

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
The best way is to buy the complete installation kit for the wiper/defrost for your 99 and you will need an adaptor or make one yourself to connect to the 03 top. jeepsareus.com sells the mopar kit and adaptor. You can make the adaptor Hardtop wiring: converting plugs to match different years - JeepForum.com

(note the rear wiper is a single speed (dumb design) I added a vaiable delay)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, not the route I plan to take. I just want a simple on off for both and I have electrical connectors I can use instead of the OEM plugs. I just need to know how to wire it up. I am figuring I need a relay.
I have to buy a new rear window, so if the defroster is not necessary I will just buy a window without a defroster.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Well the link I gave you contains the pinout at the hard top plug where you would need to connect. The rest of the design would be totally yours.

No offence but the fact that you are asking about the need for a relay says that you are not too savy on electrical wiring. The kit (which I installed in mine) has all that you need: Fuses, wiring to plug into the factory harness, underhood relays, new dual pump washer tank and hoses, switches etc.

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
The hardtop harness has one switch for rear wiper with a momentary wash function but no variable speed

The timer for the rear defroster is built into the inst cluster and the switch trips the timer which controls a relay in the under-hood fuse box and that relay is included with the wiring kit

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the link I gave you contains the pinout at the hard top plug where you would need to connect. The rest of the design would be totally yours.

No offence but the fact that you are asking about the need for a relay says that you are not too savy on electrical wiring. The kit (which I installed in mine) has all that you need: Fuses, wiring to plug into the factory harness, underhood relays, new dual pump washer tank and hoses, switches etc.
Thanks Tim, no offense taken, but as I said before that is not the route I plan on going. I've wired lights and other accessories using relays it's really quite easy and I already have a couple OEM rocker switches and some quick disconnect connectors. I have no need for pumps, reservoirs, washers, timers or the other items in the kit. This is a hunting vehicle and I am just concerned about the wiper working when I push the switch.
No offense to you either but I asked a couple simple questions and you posted twice and never answered any of them. Just questioned my abilities. I appreciate your willingness to help but I was just asking for clarification. The fact that the kit contains a relay answers my queston. Thank you gentlemen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts