Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep is a 2005 Wrangler LJ 6 speed

Recently the bar pin on my passenger side rear upper shock mount came off. I noticed it one day become wobbly at around 40-45 mph. Jeep was drivable as long as I kept the speed above 50mph and below 40mph. Ordered the rough county bar pin eliminator kit thinking I might as well replace with the stronger part. Note: I have a 2 inch Spacer lift w/ Rancho shocks from previous owner. After installing the bracket on one side and mounting the shock, I still have wobble. Would the wobble be due to only one side bracket being installed? Is it possible my springs may have gotten softer from the times I drove with no shock mounted? If anyone has any experience with this please let me know!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Speed sensitive wobbles/vibrations are almost always out of balance tires. You quite possibly lost a wheel weight. Get your tires balanced.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Recently the bar pin on my passenger side rear upper shock mount came off.
if you fix your bumpstop length problem, it will keep the shocks from bottoming out and you'll stop destroying the bar pins. replacing the bar pins with a "stronger part" as you put it will do nothing but increase the likelihood of damaging something else.

furthermore, the bar pin problem has nothing to do with your death wobble problem. something in the front end is worn out...ball joints, unit bearing, tie-rod ends, control arm bushings, track bar ends, tire balance, etc. Find the problem and fix it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. The bump stops were adjusted previously. It didn't break off from bottoming out. I drove the jeep for a little without the shock attached so what I'm asking is if something may have been affected by that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts