Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a two-door Wrangler Sport. I'm buying it outright and although I'll be able (and willing) to mod it, I'm in a position to order one that is (to my liking) "fully loaded".

My question is this: If I'm down to mod my Sport to my liking, should I just order a "bare-bones" Sport (i.e. no groups, options, etc.) to save money now and order stuff later?

Or are there certain "essential" groups or options that you'd recommend me ordering with my Sport now, like: Air Conditioning, Freedom Hardtop, Radio 430 (Touchscreen), Alpine Soundsystem, etc.?

In other words, which of the offered groups/options would you recommend I get if I don't go for a "fully loaded" Sport?

Cheers,
Falx

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I agree with the "certain" essentials comment @Falx because this is what we did.. in our case we found that ordering the unlimited barebones with just those essentials, cost us less than if we ordered or bought off the lot a 2 door with nearly the same essentials or even slightly more.
We ended up getting the 017 unlimited with auto trans, 3.73 gears and a few other odds.. Over time we'll slow do the build. The gears & auto trans was a must in our case.
GL with your search.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
IMHO, I'd get as much as you can afford now as far as creature comforts go. It will make it worth that much more in the future if/when you sell or trade it. It also depends on what you plan to do with it. If it's going to be a serious, mega-rock crawling, mudding beast, you could skip a lot of that, I suppose. Some things I'd never go without, these days, are A/C, power windows, and cruise control. Trying to add things like power windows and A/C later on just never seem to work out well, either.

·
Registered
787 Posts
This is all JMHO so of course salt and pepper to your taste...

The only things that I personally would consider MUST haves are:

A/C: Expensive and labor intensive to add later
3.73 gears: Same as A/C with cost and labor but with a caveat. If you are going to 35" or larger tires, don't pay extra for the gears as they won't be right for those tires anyway.
Power Windows/Locks: Can be added aftermarket, but more difficult and of course not under warranty.

Things I would want but not necessarily get from the dealer:

Tow Pkg: Aftermarket hitch and wiring for ~$100 vs the nearly $500 that the dealer charges.
Premium head unit: None of the OEM head units are as well equipped as a nice aftermarket unit, with Carplay, Android Auto, Nav, Apps, all being available for less money and more functionality than the OEM offerings. Concerning Sirius XM, remember that when you buy a new Wrangler, you are PAYING ~$200 for a 1 year subscription to Sirius. It is NOT a trial. You should be able to get Sirius switched over to your aftermarket head unit. Employ weeping and gnashing of teeth if necessary.
Connectivity Group: Aftermarket head unit handles this, though you won't get the additional info in the instrument cluster that comes with the factory Connectivity Group.
Any Lift/Tire Pkg: Once again, you can do better for less than the dealer, but it will have no warranty if that is important.

Good Luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Only thing I would say to get is to get a rubi w 4.10 gearing and the d44 front axles over a sport. You will end up replacing axles and regearing if you put 35s on a sport model.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Another data point for you to consider. I was able to buy pretty much whatever JKU I wanted - in my case, being successfully married for 20+ years, I knew that it would be easier to 'sell' my wife a big upfront $$$, vs. a lower purchase price but buy $400-$1,000 in upgrades every month... I did it all myself on my last rig; this time around I bought a Recon with many goodies out of the gate.

On the other hand, I would echo some of CJREX's input above. Depending on gearing options w/ Max Tow Pkg, save $400 doing the trailer hitch yourself. Add an aftermarket HU if you want touchscreen (saving $$ and getting a better product)..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Why does everyone keep mentioning ac as being optional? My window sticker has it listed as standard equipment along with air bags. Very strange to me. Lol anyways.

I got a 'fully loaded' sport (not sport s) with 3.73, Trac lok, tow pkg (it was on the lot) u connect, and a hard top. While I have manual windows, locks, and tranny, these are what I was considering essential for what my intentions are/were. The only options I have changed are things like lift bumpers wheels tires and things that wouldn't be stock available anyway. I think unless you have hard core rock crawling intensions, build/order it with everything you want, and make life simpler.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I got my jeep originally like maggot. A JKU Sport in automatic, 3.73s, A/C, hardtop, towing, uconnect. I also had the Mopar 2" lift kit installed by the dealer for $700. Nothing else. The ONLY thing I would have added would be power locks and windows.

I added my own head unit that puts the factory unit to shame. I purchased my own wheels and tires and had the dealer mount them at pickup. I've installed my own bumper and winch and various other things over the past 8 months of ownership. Nothing I've installed has taken more than an afternoon to do.

I'm not a hardcore rockcrawler or 14 day survival trail guy. I fool around on the beach with my family, or I tag along on a decent trail (like Rausch Creek) with a few challenges for a day. My Jeep is JUST FINE.

The day I signed the papers...

6 months later...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Why would you ask other people what are essential options for YOUR Jeep?

You decide what you want to do with it and then decide if you want to mod or buy from the factory. There is no such thing as an essential option.

Having said that, a lot of options are always going to be more expensive than adding yourself later. Stuff like a hard top headliner or "towing package" (just a hitch with 4 bolts and a 12" plug and play wiring harness) are much cheaper to DiY.

If you follow all the advice you get here, you'll have to buy a fully loaded Recon for all the "must haves." :lmao:

Keep in mind, options depreciate too. You almost never get a 100% ROI for options, so only get options you want.

·
Registered
505 Posts
A/C is optional on the Base Sport model.The Sport S and up its standard.I ordered the Base Sport and added A/C,3.73s,half doors and thats it.Still has too much electronic crap,(canbus,esp,tps and more).But thats the way they come now.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I miss my bare-bones $8995 Wrangler. Drove the DD naked all summer. Kept a towel handy to wipe the seats after the rain. Life was so simple :)

IMG_20170418_092454_edit.jpg

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It really depends on what your destination is... but I find the options list to be short and the prices rather trivial compared to the cost of the vehicle.

On the Jeep.ca website, 3.73 is a $125 option. If you knew 100% you'd be re-gearing, that would be a waste of $125. Otherwise it's a pittance.

A/C is $1200. Again... if you ever wanted to add it you'd pay way more and probably screw something up trying.

Stereo. There is no point in discussing it here. Some people love the Alpine, some think it's junk. It's $695 and that includes the sub, amp, and upgraded speakers. People here that say they can do it cheaper are stretching the truth... Replacing the head unit with a neat-and-tidy solution that retains all your factory buttons is going to take a day. Even if you do it yourself, I can't see someone getting a head unit, amp, sub, and 9 speakers for $695... and get it installed.

The 'power group' is $1000... but you get windows, locks, mirrors, auto-dimming rear view, security system... Maybe you could piece this together after... but why? Again, you are ripping apart 1/2 the interior to wire these things. Not worth it.

It sounds like you aren't fiscally restrained, but some people just like to tinker... their Jeep is their hobby. If you want to do lots of tinkering, get a cheap one. If you know you'll be throwing out a part to upgrade, don't get it... however there really isn't that much you can strip from a JK. I wish there was a 'builder's model' that came with no carpet... or an option to factory spec the 2 or 4 inch Mopar lift... no bumpers or wheels... What a waste throwing away brand new parts...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Depending on where you live selling a used vehicle now and in the future without AC can be a complete PITA. Most other things can be pretty easily upgraded but the AC isn't something I would skip.

Pretty much everything else can be done at a later date.

I went with a mildly modified rubicon hard rock. Wanted the auto for pushing snow and the base/stock 3.73 gearing due to many stating 4.10's isn't enough for 35's. I also wanted the stronger axels and vented good also for pushing snow. I did the $80 quadtratec hitch vs the oem $500 option.

Remember in certain models the tow package changes gearing and I believe also springs?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
get the sport S with max tow and alpine speaker system and you will be happy

·
Registered
393 Posts
The Connectivity Group is a good one (I'm not a fan of aftermarket audio). That will take care of bluetooth, gets you a better info display on the dash, and I think another USB port.

The LED lighting group is a great deal considering it gets you fogs and headlights. I'd say that's a must have.

If you're getting a Sport consider getting the half doors. Even if you hate them, they are very rare and can probably net you some cash if you swap for someone else's doors. (I'm speculating since I've never seen it done - but if the opportunity rose - I'd consider throwing in some money on a swap.)

I hear that the Alpine group is far and wide better than the base stereo. But I never heard the base radio and I don't consider aftermarket radios as something I want to do.

Last I say get the best axle you can. If you know that you're going to swap out your gears or the axle itself then don't. Otherwise the 3.73 is really the gear the Wrangler should start with. I like the limited slip option, but there's plenty of debate to that too.

I like A/C too. It works even when the doors are off.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Try pricing it on Jeep.com instead.
Wow, you 'Mericans sure get ripped off by your own. With our low dollar and better pricing, you guys could save an easy 25% just buying in Canada.

There are truck loads of used cars and trucks going south all the time... it's a real problem up here... dealers take trades and send them straight to a US broker.

To illustrate - my '16 JKU 75th was $41,000 with every option checked except the Alpine stereo (which I wanted, but this was an in stock unit).

In US it would be US$30,400 right now... and it prices out at $43,055 on Jeep.com

All your add-ons are way more... WAY more...

·
Registered
138 Posts
i think the a/c is a must.the only downside to buying bare-bones is if/when you want to trade in no matter how nice the mods you have the vin dictates what the value they will give you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Built not bought.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts