Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new bumper/tire carrier and it is bare steel. I want to bedline it.

But should I powder coat it first to protect it from rust?

Especially for inside the hitch receiver, the rings for the shackles, and the surfaces mounted directly to the frame. You know, the spots that will wear over time.

Or will the rustoleum cover everything fine and hold up to the wear?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
either powder coat it, or bedliner it. not both. i doubt the bedliner is going to adhere to the powder coating without scratching it up...which basically defeats the purpose.

I've bedlined 3 bumpers before, and stripped it off of two of them after a few years of service. The one that was lightly painted/primed under the bedliner did about the same as the one that was coated over bare steel. the biggest problem was the mounting points, hitch receiver and shackle mounts. You have to put the bedliner on thin in those areas, in order to fit the hitch pin and/or shackle pins through. This rubs off quickly, then moisture gets inside. You don't see it because the whole thing is covered in rubber and just rattle can paint over the area doesn't help the inevitable. The moisture accumulates at the bottom of the hitch receiver, inside the hitch lip, by the chain attachments and such...and then proceeds to rust the metal very badly in a small localized area. The only way to repair it strip all the bedliner off the whole bumper, repair the damaged area (welding often required), and then re-bedline the whole thing.

When I did my 4th bumper, I just rattle can painted it. I also welded the edge ring/lip on the hitch completely closed, and plugged every small hole or defect with caulking.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look at that... Ask a question and 30 minutes later, tons of answers!

All saying the same thing. Save my money and just do proper prep and rattlecan the hell out of it (bedliner or just paint).

Thanks for the tips about watching for the rust. I may just rattle can paint the "sensitive" areas like the hitch and pin holes and then bedline the rest. I won't be too much hauling. It is more of a just in case thing for when I needed it.

Of course if it does rust out, just might just might have to buy a new one.... darn!

I love you guys and this forum!:thumb:

But I love my Jeep more.

·
Registered
130 Posts
if you're going to get it powder coated, how much would it going cost you?

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
I have gotten estimates on powder coating for my roof rack, which is rusted and needed to be sandblasted before any work was done as well. It was give or take $300 for the sandblasting, $300 for powdercoating. Things tend to run more expensive in Northern VA though.I wouldn't powdercoat and then bedline, it's definitely overkill, this is just my opinion. Depending on what type of bedliner you're using, you might need something for it to adhere to, instead of just steel. Also, depending on the finish you want, I would go with some of the bigger name bedliners out there, Monster, U-Pol Raptor, etc. I have been using the Rustoleom bedliner from the can and bucket for a couple of recent jobs, and it's... finer. (Please note that I'm not knocking the Rustoleom bedliner, I've used it for MANY jobs, it's just a different finish) When I have the extra cash, I will be getting some more U-Pol to do my new rockers, roof rack, and fender flares.

·
Registered
130 Posts
damn thats expencive, how much was the bumper and what brand?

·
Registered
71 Posts
03yellowtj said:
damn thats expencive, how much was the bumper and what brand?
I paid 200 for the bumper from a guy off CL. It's a fab fours bumper designed for a jk, but I cut and welded it to fit a tj. That's why I powdercoated it

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Sandblasting should be included in any powdercoating price since it has to be done anyway.....the metal has to be blasted before coating.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Have it electrocoated and then bedline it. You won't be sorry.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts