Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, gonna be putting the barricade rock sliders on my new 2 door willys this weekend and have a question. I have searched and done some research on them and how to tighten them while pulling out etc to eliminate the possibility of the squeak from rubbing but i was wondering, i saw one post of someone who made a little gasket as a buffer between the metal parts to prevent the noise. I think it was out of old inner tubes or something. Anyway, without having everything out in front of me, where is the main source of the squeak coming from on mount box of slider? Top, side, etc? Just wanna be set on everything before i do it sunday. Hopefully i don't need anything and they are nice and quiet. Any other advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
938 Posts
they are suppose to squeak?
mine don't squeak, guess I have to go complain to/at XTRyan now... he failed to provide my squeaks...

·
Registered
386 Posts
if you mount them backwards, the rear mount will probably hit the frame and make noise. I did mine backwards on purpose, had to switch them back around...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I went to Ace hardware and picked up a few large rubber washers and put them on, but then again I'm OCD. It probably didn't really need them.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
You can read about the noise in this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/gotta-creaking-noise-1130226.html

To summarize, the rear driver side mounting location is a little tight because that's where the lower control arm bracket is welded on. It's possible the side of the mounting box on the Barricade slider will contact that bracket and make noises. I'm not sure why it doesn't happen on the passenger side. What I described applies to the 4-door. It could be different on your 2-door.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once again thank you guys for the info. Got a buddy coming over in morning to help with them, they look awesome sitting there, cant wait to get them on!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Clunking gone

Installed Barricade sliders awhile ago. Started getting clunk intermittently on left, lower front side of my JKUR. I could go over the same bump 5 times and not hear a thing. The next five times I'd get the clunk. Even started doing it while taking a hard left start from signals.
Guess I used the Barricade instructions for torquing the sliders because after I read this thread I checked and they were far from the 80 ft-lb factory specs. Torqued them to factory specs and no more clunking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm hoping anyone with Barricade Rock Sliders experiencing a squeak/vibration issue finds this post. After installing and removing my rails 6 times I finally solved the elusive squeak/vibration noise issue. My solution is unlike any other that I've seen on message boards so I thought I would share.

1. Be certain to install the rails with the longer tail extension toward the rear of the vehicle ( if you notice the length of the rail from the mounting box is longer on one side.
2. Purchase (4) 3" Plumbing Test Plugs (pictured)
3. Remove the rubber donut from the plug and discard the plastic caps and wingnut/bolt
4. Install the donut between the rail mounting box and the frame mount.
5. The dense rubber donut acts as a vibration insulator and eliminates metal to metal contact.
6. Enjoy the peace and quiet of driving your Jeep without the annoying Barricade Slider Squeak.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts