Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 50" curved light bar on my 2dr jk, and in dire need of a roof rack as I travel fequently and need a place to put my skis. I found this barricade roof rack that seems pretty good and cheap as well. However, It seems that I wouldn't be able to have both the light bar and the rack, Until now. I just got an email from extreme terrain and in the banner, it shows what seems to be the barricade roof rack and a 50" light bar mounted as well. I was wondering if anyone knows how they did this? Or if they just mounted the roof rack right over the light bar mounts? Any info helps. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently have a 50" curved light bar on my 2dr jk, and in dire need of a roof rack as I travel fequently and need a place to put my skis. I found this barricade roof rack that seems pretty good and cheap as well. However, It seems that I wouldn't be able to have both the light bar and the rack, Until now. I just got an email from extreme terrain and in the banner, it shows what seems to be the barricade roof rack and a 50" light bar mounted as well. I was wondering if anyone knows how they did this? Or if they just mounted the roof rack right over the light bar mounts? Any info helps. Thanks.
It looks to me like the rack was mounted over the light bar mounts. I'd be interested to know if they did something different as well, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you're just using it for light objects (<200lbs) you could easily get away with a pair of yakima bars mounted on the rain gutters. Cheap, secure and easy to remove if needed.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I have that Extreme Terrain Catalog. It is the Raxiom 50inch Double Row LED Light bar. Extreme Terrain Part#J100989 here: Raxiom 50in. Double Row LED Wrangler Light Bar J100989 (87-16 Wrangler YJ, TJ & JK) - Free Shipping

I have that same Barricade Roof Rack from Extreme Terrain on my 12' JK 2dr. I don't see why he could not have mounted it to the roof rack light mount tabs shown in my roof rack pic below. Or you could end for end the roof rack pipe shown so that the 4 mounting tabs would be flush on the bottom of the roof rack pipe and should be easy to mount it that way.

·
Registered
262 Posts
@71K5. How easy is that awning to attach and remove? I've been eyeballing it for a while now but I drive my jeep for work so don't think I'd want it on the rack all the time. And how do you like the awning setup as a whole? Do you use it quite a bit? Seems like a perfect shade solution for parking on the beach down here on the 3rd coast.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
@71K5 . How easy is that awning to attach and remove? I've been eyeballing it for a while now but I drive my jeep for work so don't think I'd want it on the rack all the time. And how do you like the awning setup as a whole? Do you use it quite a bit? Seems like a perfect shade solution for parking on the beach down here on the 3rd coast.
Here is the mounting system I made to install it.
ARB gives you nothing to mount it except the 4 stainless bolts and nylock nuts that fit the channels in the extruded aluminum back .
The smaller 55" Tuff Stuff awning I have on back included the 2 stainless steel L brackets I used to mount the ARB awning.
Like a lot of the Roof Top Tents you see, both ARB and Tuff Stuff use essentially the same design for their awnings. So both awnings have the same extruded aluminum back you see in the photo. They have the same channel spacing, so the Tuff Stuff L brackets worked perfect for the heavier/larger ARB awning.
I added the u-bolts you see. They are flush mounted/bolted to the L bracket from the bottom using a bevel head screw then covered with thin black foam rubber(for grip on a round crossbar) and a nylock nut on top to secure each u-bolt flat bar to the L bracket. I also put heat shrink tubing on the bolt part of the u-bolts, for additional grip on the round crossbar.
To remove the ARB awning. Just REMOVE the 2 BOTTOM channel nylock nuts and bolts(see them upper left on pic) on the back extruded aluminum bracket. Then LOOSEN the 2 TOP channel nylock nuts. This now allows the bolt heads to slide in the channels. You then slide the ARB awning forward to remove one end of awning off the mounts. Then slide it backwards to slide it off the other bracket. This leaves the brackets mounted to the roof rack cross bars.
Do the opposite to install it. About 3-5 minutes to remove and 5-10 to install
You can do this by just LOOSENING ALL four bolts and nylock nuts, but it is very difficult to slide ALL four bolt heads in the channel without binding. Tolerable when removing, but a bi*&ch when trying to install it that way.

I like the awnings. Made fairly sturdy. Have not had a chance to use them yet. Just installed them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Here is the mounting system I made to install it.
ARB gives you nothing to mount it except the 4 stainless bolts and nylock nuts that fit the channels in the extruded aluminum back .
The smaller 55" Tuff Stuff awning I have on back included the 2 stainless steel L brackets I used to mount the ARB awning.
Like a lot of the Roof Top Tents you see, both ARB and Tuff Stuff use essentially the same design for their awnings. So both awnings have the same extruded aluminum back you see in the photo. They have the same channel spacing, so the Tuff Stuff L brackets worked perfect for the heavier/larger ARB awning.
I added the u-bolts you see. They are flush mounted/bolted to the L bracket from the bottom using a bevel head screw then covered with thin black foam rubber(for grip on a round crossbar) and a nylock nut on top to secure each u-bolt flat bar to the L bracket. I also put heat shrink tubing on the bolt part of the u-bolts, for additional grip on the round crossbar.
To remove the ARB awning. Just REMOVE the 2 BOTTOM channel nylock nuts and bolts(see them upper left on pic) on the back extruded aluminum bracket. Then LOOSEN the 2 TOP channel nylock nuts. This now allows the bolt heads to slide in the channels. You then slide the ARB awning forward to remove one end of awning off the mounts. Then slide it backwards to slide it off the other bracket. This leaves the brackets mounted to the roof rack cross bars.
Do the opposite to install it. About 3-5 minutes to remove and 5-10 to install
You can do this by just LOOSENING ALL four bolts and nylock nuts, but it is very difficult to slide ALL four bolt heads in the channel without binding. Tolerable when removing, but a bi*&ch when trying to install it that way.

I like the awnings. Made fairly sturdy. Have not had a chance to use them yet. Just installed them.

Thank you for the info and pic! Exactly what I needed to see!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure how they did it, but I did it using these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W4OHRPQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts