Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a stupid question or what? Anyone ever use Bars Leak to stop a heater core leak in there jeep?

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
some have but it is not a good idea. Given all the small passages in a cooling system, that stuff will cause you more problems than it will fix. Heater core replacement is really not that bad of a job. I did mine a few months back in about 6 hours. That was my first time doing it and taking my time. That 6 hours also included putting in a new evaporator core, accumulator/drier and A/C compressor.

·
Registered
646 Posts
coolant in the passenger floorboard, huh? fun...

it works for pin size holes and never failed me, but you don't want that stuff in there for too long...they clog up your thermostat and radiator. if i were you and could live without the heater until the core is replaced, just pull the hoses and cap the waterpump and t-stat housing necks until then.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
coolant in the passenger floorboard, huh? fun...

it works for pin size holes and never failed me, but you don't want that stuff in there for too long...they clog up your thermostat and radiator. if i were you and could live without the heater until the core is replaced, just pull the hoses and cap the waterpump and t-stat housing necks until then.
Not sure about capping them off, but what i did until I replaced mine was disconnect the two hoses from the core and used a coupler to connect the two hoses. That temporary fix took all of 5 minutes. I ran like that for 3-4 months then replaced the core.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Please do humanity a favor and don't put that crap in your engine! Yes, it might stop or slow down the leak temporarily as it plugs up the small hole. Meanwhile, it will also plug up all the small cooling passages in your engine. Gum up the thermostat. And gum up the water pump.

Do like Sarge said. Disconnect the hoses under the hood and connect them together with a plumbing coupler. That will bypass the heater core for now until you can replace it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks I think I will just bypass it for now. I live in central Florida so I don't think it would be used much anyway

·
Registered
332 Posts
I used it since I was a teenager, different cars, different engines. Works great, never had any problems with it "gumming" anything up. It does what it says it will do.

Just used it on a V-10 Excursion right before I traded it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Bars leak work as a advertised. However it is a band-aid fix and I wouldn't use it on anything I have to depend on unless it's an emergency. In the long run your best off replacing the heater core

·
Registered
721 Posts
What Albu said. Depending on what you read and who you believe Barrs pellets is used in some major manufacturers new car production lines for leaks, thats just what I read. I used it on a leaky TJ radiator about 3K ago (didnt want to replace in freezing temps) and its still holding. I do plan to replace the radiator though once spring temps stabilize.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I used to have to add it to a Bronco once a year . I did it for three years then it got to the point I had to look into it more and learned you could change a heater core in an 88 Bronco in about a half hour, Duh . Never had any of the wives tale events happen for the next few years any way .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where are the hose clamps to the heater core under the dashboard? Can I get to them without taking anything apart?

·
Registered
615 Posts
You should be able to get to them under the hood at the firewall. Just look for the two black hoses about 1 inch around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts