Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here,
Need advice for roof rack setup....i have a set of Whispbar roof racks i want to use on my new Jeep...

Flush Bar - Whispbar - The Ultimate Car Roof Rack, Van & SUV Roof Racks & Roof Bars. Whispbar and Whispbar HD | Whispbar

has anyone installed these with this kit?

+ Q20W FITTING KIt

and is the roof still water tight?

thank you

·
Registered
596 Posts
I wouldn't install on the hardtop. The owners manual tells you not to. It's not designed to carry any weight. I'd do it right and install a cage.

·
Registered
938 Posts
yea, what 12thman said...
there is nothing structural about the hard top, it is just a slightly stiffer version of the soft top, looks to be made out of fiber glass? or some other composite...
but definitely not structural...
if you install it anyway I see two likely and potentially amusing outcomes, but neither is probably the end goal you were looking to achieve:
option 1. rack falls through roof and becomes a passenger rack...
option 2. it falls off, possibly taking all or part of the hard top with it, and becomes a road or trail rack depending on where it lands...
I guess there is option 3, it just cracks and destroys your hard top, but that isn't nearly as amusing as 1 or 2...

·
Registered
303 Posts
not sure of the difference in materials from 2003 to now, but the 2003 I bought used had a Wilderness rack mounted directly to the hardtop. I used it a few times and did not have any problems. But that does not mean you wouldn't.
I drove at highway speeds for 100+ miles on those trips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts