Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
subscribed

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Did you upgrade the speakers on the lower dash as well as soundbar speakers? I saw the upgraded sound bar kicker speakers on Qtec, but didn't realize there were direct replacements for the dash ones.
Yes I did all four and yes they are all the same. If I only did two I would do the dash first.

rockjock1 I figured it was worth it for $50 :)

Hayhonker Thanks!! The breather tube mod brings the transfer case and transmission breathers up into the rear quarter panel and/or engine bay to keep water and debri out of them

Thanks RedBones!!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
basecamper said:
Yes I did all four and yes they are all the same. If I only did two I would do the dash first.
Ill wait for your full write up you said was coming. Very curious I've never seen this before. Like I said I was thinking of getting the kicker upgrade for the sound bar, but didn't realize they'd also work in the dash. Also super curious what that box is?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Ill wait for your full write up you said was coming. Very curious I've never seen this before. Like I said I was thinking of getting the kicker upgrade for the sound bar, but didn't realize they'd also work in the dash. Also super curious what that box is?

Thanks!!
Kelsey all the speakers on the JK are in plastic boxes. The front boxes actually come out with two screws on the side and one bolt in the bottom. The drivers side requires you to remove the dash screws so you can pull the dash towards the seat. the sound bar is all plasitic and hollow from one side to the other I used Dynamat to seal each side and then filled with polyfil. The large box is for the sub speaker which I did not change but did use Dyanmat and again filled with polyfil. Hope that helps!

RubyJeep I did get the Maglite mount off Amazon about $5 with my Prime the shipping was free. I picked up some self tapping stainless steel metal screws from my local Truevalue. Probably not required but just in case they get wet. They were like $.30 a piece and about 1/2" long. Make sure the Maglite is not touching the seat mine looks like it is but you can get a 1/16" cardboard between the light and the seat.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
basecamper said:
Kelsey all the speakers on the JK are in plastic boxes. The front boxes actually come out with two screws on the side and one bolt in the bottom. The drivers side requires you to remove the dash screws so you can pull the dash towards the seat. the sound bar is all plasitic and hollow from one side to the other I used Dynamat to seal each side and then filled with polyfil. The large box is for the sub speaker which I did not change but did use Dyanmat and again filled with polyfil. Hope that helps!

RubyJeep I did get the Maglite mount off Amazon about $5 with my Prime the shipping was free. I picked up some self tapping stainless steel metal screws from my local Truevalue. Probably not required but just in case they get wet. They were like $.30 a piece and about 1/2" long. Make sure the Maglite is not touching the seat mine looks like it is but you can get a 1/16" cardboard between the light and the seat.
It does. One more question, how full did you pack the boxes?? Obviously you don't want the poly fill to touch the speaker, but yours looked stuffed!!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
It does. One more question, how full did you pack the boxes?? Obviously you don't want the poly fill to touch the speaker, but yours looked stuffed!!

Thanks!
I just made a pocket for the speaker before I put them in. They look more stuffed than they are I used 2 lbs total

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Cooltech mount with 4' fire stick - Fit great directions very good the only thing I did that I did not see in the directions was added some silicone caulk to the top of the mount before I pushed it through. If I had to do over I would have used black RTV rather than clear would have looked better. I did use blue tape around the hole to keep the silicone off the license plate braket itself.

I mounted the Cobra 75 box under the glove box using the existing screw on one side and a tie wrap on the other. I used a drill to twist the wires before adding spiral wrap and running the wires to the sPOD. In the engine compartment I used some black sleeving I purchased at Grainger but was not happy with it, to much stretch. I'll keep looking for something may contact sPOD and see where they get their's so I can order some before my lights arrive. Need to fab up mounts for the mic and the coupler as I do not want to drill through the plastic. Probably not till next weekend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Tuffy Drawer: Very solid box and the slides are fulll length so you can get the drawer open all the way. No rattles so far need to get something to line the inside with. Two tips here first I would recomend you use some good anti seize on the seat bolts so if you ever have to remove the bolts the will come out easier. Second the directions said to use tie wraps to hold the wires after removing the bracket but there is a hole in the bottom of the seat that you can snap it into. Not sure why Jeep puts that mounting plate in there :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Spod install: Awesome product very well built! Instructions were good but could be better. On a side note these folks provided some of the best customer service I have experienced in a long time!!

Two tips on this one. First I would cut a space not only for the switch bracket but for the cable to run through as well, makes a much cleaner fit. Second if you remove that silver screw holding the black plastic piece on the top of the drivers fender you can pull it up just far enough to run the wires behind for a nice clean install. FYI the nut will fall out of the wheel when you hear it drop you will know what I am refering too. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
basecamper said:
I just made a pocket for the speaker before I put them in. They look more stuffed than they are I used 2 lbs total
Thanks Basecamper! Just got some poly fill while I was out today. I'll be doing it tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
NCflyer said:
If I understand correctly it allows you to have a power and ground to one box then run all your accessories to it (sPOD) so wires aren't all over the place and loaded up on the battery. I would guess it has fuses as well so none have to be put in line.

Here's the site... http://www.4x4spod.com/category_s/12.htm
It looks like it is a separate fuse box for rocker switches. I could be completely wrong

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
alright gotta ask, how did you get the sub out of the box? It seemed stuck, and I didn't want to keep prying on it.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Love the work so far basecamper! Definitely looking forward to seeing how it all turns out!

41 - 60 of 149 Posts