Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know this subject has been discussed a lot but I wanted to know what people were using for bass blockers on the 3.5" stock or kicker replacements. I'm getting turned around trying to figure out which to order, sorry. Also does anyone know of a link to a thread on installing them? I will be installing the Kicker Coax 6.5" in the SB and dash as well.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ok so I know this subject has been discussed a lot but I wanted to know what people were using for bass blockers on the 3.5" stock or kicker replacements. I'm getting turned around trying to figure out which to order, sorry. Also does anyone know of a link to a thread on installing them? I will be installing the Kicker Coax 6.5" in the SB and dash as well.
The base stock 3.5" speaker is actually a 2.5" cone tweeter in the frame of a 3.5" driver. It already has a 2.2uf capacitor (it's glued onto the molex connector of the speaker) which equates to a 9KHz HP 1st order HP filter.

If you choose to go with a 3.5" coax or a 3.5" full range driver (such as the one from the Alpine upgraded system) then use a 100uf cap which equates to 400hz 1st order HP filter. This way the speaker will be 6dB down at 400hz, 12dB down at 200hz, 18dB down at 100hz, etc...

FWIW, the base speaker system is a component system comprised of a woofer and a tweeter for each channel. The tweeter has the aforementioned 2.2uf cap on it whereas the woofer has no filter on it...but like any 6.5" driver will naturally roll-off the higher frequencies. A more direct speaker swap is with a set of components, not with a bunch of coaxials.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. My wife ordered 2 pair of the 6.5" kicker coax for the Jeep. I will see how they sound and go from there. I will unplug the set of tweeters in the SB as has been mentioned in other posts.

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts