Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm sharing my build here. I've gotten lots of good ideas from many on the forum. Hope this is helpful to some. The picture below is me picking it up last summer after close to a 3 month wait: a 2015 JKU-HR.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hard Top Storage

My next "mod" was more of a necessity...I build a rack to hold my hard top. Works shockingly well and was fun to make.

Then found some local places to get it dirty a bit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tuffy Boxes

I then installed the Tuffy underseat lockbox, which is exceptionally well made, and convenient.

Later I installed the Tuffy-475 security Deck, also well made and very functional. Sorry, forgot to take pictures of those.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mopar 2" Lift with Fox Shocks

Ok, so I got to drive it a couple weeks to check out the stock ride and handling. Can wait no longer...2" lift done. I had the dealer do it, just to play it safe. Honestly felt like it rode the same, definitely no worse. Looks better for sure and gives a bit more clearance.

See the before and after pics below:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M-Pac Springtail Solutions Rear Tailgate Table

Added this nifty little creation on the tailgate. Requires no drilling. Works very well. Installation was a bit of a pain as one of the little screws broke and I had to wait to get another one deliver, but overall I like it a lot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheels & Tires

Changed wheels to Rockstar IIs 17x9
Changed tires to Nitto Trail Grappler 295/70/17s (33.5"). Only 1.5" bigger than stock 32" MTs, but I like them. I run them at 27psi based on my tire chalk test.

They are a LOT heavier. Total wheel now weighs a back breaking 103lbs. Hmmmm, now I'm worried about my poor tailgate

Attachments

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AEV Tire Carrier and Fuel Caddy

Decided I didn't want my tailgate to slowly breakdown from added weight of tires/wheels so installed the AEV Tire Carrier. I also got the optional 10-gallon fuel caddy from AEV.

The tire carrier took about 5-8hrs to install, but wasn't too bad to be honest. I had to take off the rear bumper to allow the tire carrier to mount to the frame. It works very well and still only requires one hand to open the tailgate which was important to me. Rattle free solid operation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Carolina Metal Masters Grab Handles

I installed the CMM grab handles which I like, a lot. They also have a very useful feature...they come with a Ram Ball Mount already on them. An empty Ram Ball Mount just begs to have something installed....

(A side note: I initially installed the GraBars and subsequently removed them so I could install the CMM handles with the Ram Ball mount. The GraBars looked and worked great after installed, but was the single most painful, frustrating, ridiculous installation of anything I've done. It is hard to believe that 4 bolts took 3-4 hours and trips to the store, but it did, and I never really got over the anger from it.... The CMM handles went on during my lunch break one day. Night & Day difference)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SPOD & ARB Twin Air Compressor

I didn't actually install these at the same time, but I forgot to take the picture of the Spod by itself :)

The SPOD is the LCD touchscreen version which I like a lot. Super easy install that doesn't require cutting the trim like the traditional switch panel install does. Fits right on that Ram Ball mount.

The ARB air compressor was a bit more of a challenge to install. I used the install bracket from M.O.R.E. which works well enough but it is a tight fit, but it does, just fit. Lots of getting fingers into tight spaces. Overall, took about 5 hours to install the compressor. Super nice having air on board the rig.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JW Speaker 8700j Headlights and 6145j fogs

Upgraded the HLs as the stock HLs are abysmal...The first night I drove the Jeep home, I literally thought the HLs wouldn't come on. They're just stupid dim.

The JW Speaker HLs made a big difference, but when you think about it, how could they not? The install was a breeze. I did have to do a bit of horizontal adjustment on one of the lights.

The FogLights for some reason are not plug and play as the HLs are. I bought the bracket from Maxximus-3 required for the HR/X/10A bumper and I bought the adapter from Headlight Revolution to make it a truly plug-n-play install. No splicing and super easy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rigid Lights

I installed the Dually D2 driving lights on the A-pillar and the Dually 60˚ diffused on the rear, mounted to the top of the AEV tire carrier, which has light mounting holes built into it. I like them a lot. Having the s-pod makes wiring a breeze.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Next moves?

Agonizing on what to do with fenders. Looking at the Metalcloak Overland, but hate that you have to drill into Jeep. Also, they're expensive as hell.

Also debating on installing rear view camera as I cant see ish out the back window...

Anyway, appreciate any feedback, suggestions, comments!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Glad I found this thread. Bad ass rig! I was looking for anyone using the touchscreen spod because I didn't want to cut up my trim. I also have the CMM grab handles so I planned to mount it exactly where you did. Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Next moves? Agonizing on what to do with fenders. Looking at the Metalcloak Overland, but hate that you have to drill into Jeep. Also, they're expensive as hell. Also debating on installing rear view camera as I cant see ish out the back window... Anyway, appreciate any feedback, suggestions, comments!
Looks awesome! I have the same rig. Just planning out my upgrades now. Here's what I went with for the backup camera. Total cost was about $85 and has an factory look and feel. The only thing I did different was I mounted mine in the rear bumper.

Backup Camera Setup

Soldering iron
Solder
Heat shrink tubing
Wire to extend positive/negative from camera

http://www.amazon.com/Flush-Waterpro...MVQ1FA9NT5YRA2

Gino camera will have view and lines as seen in post #29 above. I'm very happy with the picture.

Install in bumper using included hole saw. Run wiring through grommet under jack and connect power to reverse light wire in harness just inside right rear corner (no need to go all the way to the tail light housing). White/Gray = positive. Black = negative. Run video wire along existing harness on passenger side to dash and up to the radio. Plug harness into back of radio.

Go to dealer and hand them these directions:

PARK VIEW REAR BACK-UP CAMERA VEHICLE CONFIGURATION
Vehicle VIN must be updated with the sales code of the added accessory in order to enable system
functionality. Using
the DealerCONNECT website and the StarSCAN diagonstic tool, complete the procedure below:
1. Log on to https://dealerconnect.chrysler.com
2. In the “Vehicle Option” screen under the “Global Claims System” category in the “Service” tab, enter
the vehicle VIN
and add the sales code XAC (Park View Rear Back-Up Camera) as a “Dealer Installed Option” and code XRV
(Audio and Video Output).
3. Confirm that the new sales code has been successfully added to the VIN.
With the StarSCAN diagnostic tool connected to both the internet (via Ethernet port or wireless
connection) and the
vehicle, follow the steps below:
4. Using the StarScan select the VEHICLE PREPARATION and then select RESTORE VEHICLE CONFIGURATION.
5. Follow the step by step instructions on the StarSCAN to complete the Park View Rear Back-Up Camera
vehicle
configuration.
6. When the Park View Rear Back-Up Camera Vehicle Configuration is complete, go to the Validation
Process to
verify that the vehicle has been updated.
VALIDATION PROCESS
From the “Initial Start Up” screen on the StarSCAN follow the steps below:
1. Using the StarSCAN follow the menu to ECU VIEW, select TIPMCGW CENTRAL GATEWAY, MORE OPTIONS,
ECU DETAILS and then CONFIG INFO
2. Verify REAR CAMERA PRESET- - - -SET is present.

Mine charged me 1/2 hr labor. Some are charging more.

Hope this helps.

Backup camera mount

http://www.extremeterrain.com/raxiom-camera-spare-mount-rax-jstmount.html

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts