Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, my 2016 unlimited has been great with no issues. Hasn’t had any problems starting but today i went out to run an errand and it started just fine, ran into the store and came back 10 minutes later and it wouldn’t crank. All my lights were fine, stereo started, ac started but the engine wouldn’t even crank. It would click once and that was it. I used my battery pack and jumped it and it started no problems. Got it home waited an hour and same problem just one click and nothing. Got my multimeter and checked battery and it was at 12.4, jumped it and checked multimeter to maybe get a alternator reading and volts were reading 13.6. Is there anyway to diagnose between bad battery, bad alternator or bad starter. It’s a 2016 with 35k miles. Haven’t changed the battery and it doesn’t get driven daily. Any help is appreciated.

·
Retired Moderator
105,594 Posts
Just dropped it off for a charge and load testing. Load testing tests the CCA right? Any numbers I should know for the cca
They will tell you, if it passes the load test. My guess is that you will be purchasing a new battery. I believe that it calls for 670. My AGM battery, has I believe 760 CCA.

·
Retired Moderator
105,594 Posts
Most batteries are manufactured by just a couple of sources. I like the O’reilly’s AGM 760 CCA Super Start. Independent tests, have indicated that this is one of the best available. This will be my next battery. This is a medium priced battery, that won’t break the bank.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
You proved the alternator good when you got 13.6 volts with the engine running.

You proved the starter good when you jumped started the Jeep several times.

In the old days, a weak battery would slowly crank the engine groaning the whole time. Now, if the battery is not up to snuff, the computer will not even attempt a start. When I had similar issues with my TJ three years ago, I jumped it, went to the battery store and had a new Group 34 1000 CCA battery for $120. (Yes, 1000 CCA, it will even start a diesel). They even swapped out the battery, something NAPA no longer does.

Reactions: High Country

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I'd guess the starter and/or battery. The issue is that one can take out the other too. i have been running a yellow top optima for years and suddenly the first start in the morning it sounded, slow. I flipped the key, and had no power issues, but starting it was odd sounding. Only happens the first start in the cold morning, for a few days, so I figured I'd check it all the next week.
It threw a fit on Sunday. I ended up driving over to pick up dog food just fine, but I couldn't get home. I had power to everything, but not even a click to attempt starting. Got it flatbedded back.
Dealer tested everything, needed a new starter, which I already figured was bad. I didn't expect them to also tell me the battery had bad cells though. It was still acting pretty normal, but it did test bad, and was having some issues after all. Testing the optima's is also a different procedure than a standard battery. They can test normal if you don't set up the test right.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
It is going to be either your starter or battery. You need to test the cranking amps of the battery. My battery went out 2 weeks ago. It was testing 12.5 volts but only 540 cranking amps. The battery is supposed to have 750 cranking amps.
My brother has a Ram truck and it would not start recently. He got it jumped off and it started right up so he thought it was the battery. He had the battery tested at an auto parts store and it tested good. The employee at the store was an old guy. He told my brother that sometimes when a started is going out it needs more power to get it to turn over which is why it would start when he jumped it. So my brother bought a new started and that ended up being the problem.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Any batteries I should start looking into?
I would look at Interstate batteries and avoid Autozone Duralast batteries. I just replaced my 3rd Duralast battery in 4 years. They were replaced by the pro-rated warranty but the last battery was no longer covered by the warranty so I went with an Interstate battery. I put an Interstate battery in my wife's car 4 years ago and it still starts strong.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would look at Interstate batteries and avoid Autozone Duralast batteries. I just replaced my 3rd Duralast battery in 4 years. They were replaced by the pro-rated warranty but the last battery was no longer covered by the warranty so I went with an Interstate battery. I put an Interstate battery in my wife's car 4 years ago and it still starts strong.
I've been buying my batteries from Costco for years now. They are Interstate and only last about 3 years. On the positive side they always failed before the warranty expired and Costco resets the purchase date to the replacement. I'm on my 4th battery in my wife's Pacifica under warranty. The Jeep's factory battery failed at 2.5 years. Put in an Interstate. We'll see how long it lasts. Don't drive it daily so I have it on a battery tender.

Reactions: Freedom JK

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all, battery won’t hold a charge now sitting at 10v. Just thought it was strange that it has been firing up great and started fine went in to the store and came back and it wouldn’t even crank. Normally all my batteries have given some type of warning before dying. I’ll most likely get a Costco battery for the warranty and it being 98$.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Thanks all, battery won’t hold a charge now sitting at 10v. Just thought it was strange that it has been firing up great and started fine went in to the store and came back and it wouldn’t even crank. Normally all my batteries have given some type of warning before dying. I’ll most likely get a Costco battery for the warranty and it being 98$.
I bought my battery at Costco a couple of weeks ago. The one I bought cost $115 in my area. In comparison, O'Reilly's wanted $165 for a comparable battery.

·
Super Moderator
8,718 Posts
Sudden battery death seems to have become more common.
And 4 years from the stock battery is pretty good.
Some prefer to buy cheaper batteries and replace them more often. I prefer to buy better batteries that tend not to need replacing so often. I would rather spend twice as much on a battery that lasts twice as long. That warranty isn't really a major concern to me, I would rather not have to deal with a dead battery. It is often something that happens at the wrong time. The fewer times in life I have to deal with that the better.
At a minimum I would look for a quality AGM battery.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sudden battery death seems to have become more common.
And 4 years from the stock battery is pretty good.
Some prefer to buy cheaper batteries and replace them more often. I prefer to buy better batteries that tend not to need replacing so often. I would rather spend twice as much on a battery that lasts twice as long. That warranty isn't really a major concern to me, I would rather not have to deal with a dead battery. It is often something that happens at the wrong time. The fewer times in life I have to deal with that the better.
At a minimum I would look for a quality AGM battery.
Agreed. The hard part is knowing what is a good battery anymore. I haven't had a AGM battery before and am only just learning about them. So for those that still buy the traditional battery which ones are good? The only long lasting batteries I've had in the past 15 years were Motorcraft. Certainly not Jeep and Chrysler or even Interstate. Autozone same story. Maybe next time AGM.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agreed. The hard part is knowing what is a good battery anymore. I haven't had a AGM battery before and am only just learning about them. So for those that still buy the traditional battery which ones are good? The only long lasting batteries I've had in the past 15 years were Motorcraft. Certainly not Jeep and Chrysler or even Interstate. Autozone same story. Maybe next time AGM.
Funny you mention the motorcraft battery. I had one from factory that lasted close to 8 years. Everyone seems to love the yellowtop batteries. I’ll admit I have been slacking in battery research.

·
Super Moderator
8,718 Posts
Funny you mention the motorcraft battery. I had one from factory that lasted close to 8 years. Everyone seems to love the yellowtop batteries. I’ll admit I have been slacking in battery research.
My opinion is I would avoid the yellow top batteries from Optima. Or any battery from Optima. I never really was a fan of their design to begin with, it is fundamentally flawed. But not too long ago they were bought by another company and their quality seems to have suffered.
If you really want to be near the head of the curve, Lithium-ion batteries are getting really good now. I replaced the lead acid battery in our RV trailer with one. Way more power and way less weight. But I am not sure I am ready to go that way. I hope that our current Odyssey AGM battery will last the typical 7 - 10 years and when it starts to fail by that time lithium-ion batteries will be ready for prime time. So, hopefully that will be our next battery. But only time will tell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.