Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a 1991 wrangler 4.0 and I had some starting issues this morning. Went out to start it and I got aux lights for a sec and as soon as I turned the key past aux position to start it, it went dead. No crank/click, and lost all aux lights. Jumped it and it started, but same thing wouldn't start without the cables.

Had the battery tested and it was at 100% charge, alternator looks new, so I figured I'd replace the battery cables.

Only issue is there's two wires coming out of both terminals. Pos. wire has what looks like two 4-gauge wires, one heading to the fuse box next to battery and one heading to starter. Neg. cable has a 4-gauge wire going to engine block and a smaller wire going to firewall.

I can't find any auto parts stores with this design for the terminals, is there a way I can fix this? Can I splice them? I'm sure someone has gone through this before so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
514 Posts
buy the wires with the round ends on both sides and get whats called a military battery terminal it has a long screw that you put your wires on..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, any idea where I could buy that? Called autozone asking telling them my problem but they told me they didn't have anything like that and that Id have to splice them....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just walk into a napa or oreillys. You should see their generic battery terminals (not cables) near the other wire. You'll find what you need in short order.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I found these at AutoZone. I have a winch, cb, and fogs hooked up to it and can still make room for some windshield lights.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you live near navigable water, you probably have a West Marine nearby. You can get all manner of high-amperage cables and busbars in there. And/or the supplies to roll your own. But they aren't cheap. Or on-line, look at genuinedealz. (A lifesaver if you've got to get cables up to the windlass, 30 feet ahead of the engine!) They can custom-make any kind of cable you want.

But... I assume you DID whip out your handy battery terminal cleaning tool (you DO have one, don't you?) and clean the terminals and the cable clamps?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
X2 for genuinedealz on ebay. I run their cables on my heep, they are excellent quality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts