Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a ton of ways to figure out what is draining your battery. I disconnected my negative battery terminal today, hooked up the multimeter and found that my Amplifier fuse M12 30amp is drawing 2.7amps from the battery. I think this is the reason that the jeep dies after 4 days of not running. Not a DD for me. Anyone have an idea of what I can do to fix this or do I need to replace the Amplifier

·
Registered
377 Posts
did you wire your amp with the remote wire? The amp only gets power through the stereo head unit via the remote wire, usually a blue wire or blue with a white stripe.

·
Registered
471 Posts
im missing something?

how did you test the amperage draw? if the negative is disconnected the amplifier should not be functioning or drawing power?

or, are you saying you used a multimeter between the negative battery wire and the negative post of the battery? and that is how you tested the amplifier current rating?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I used the negative battery post and the negative battery wire. This is all stock so I have done nothing with the stereo. I have navigation so I know the unit is integrated with the computer. Why does the Amplifier have its own fuse if its powered by the head unit? Sadly the jeep is in the dark or I would go hook up to it again and pull the radio fuse also. See if that would stop the draw. I stopped pulling fuses when the amp fuse reduce the draw from 2.7 to .50

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Lots of things draw on the Wranglers. The missus will kill her Blue Top in a couple of days, with no amp. The radio has a draw, the computer does, as the security flashes sitting in the driveway. I have a trickle charger to keep her going when the rig sits for a while.

Bob K.

·
Registered
471 Posts
the wire between the amplifier and the head unit is a signal wire.. it is low voltage and controls a relay... the amplifier will get it's power from the battery, thru a separate fuse.. usually direct to the battery with the fuse close to the battery...

and like the above mentioned poster, many things will continue to draw power thru the battery when the key is off.

I would test between the amplifier fuse and the battery, in fact you could 'shunt the fuse and install a separate amp gauge...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so the signal wire tells the amp to power up when the vehicle is turned on. 2.7amp seems like a lot when the vehicle is off though. Anyone checked their vehicle for amp draw after the vehicle have been turned off. I know its takes a few minutes for everything to shut down and stop drawing power. I just don't understand why the amp continues to draw. Seems strange that it would still want power with the vehicle off. I am decent with a wrench but this electrical stuff is still a learning in progress

·
Registered
377 Posts
the amp isn't powered by the head unit, it gets power from the battery. The remote wire, like the above poster mentioned, is a low voltage wire. It tells the amp to turn on when the head unit is powered.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm curious to know what you found out on this? I have the same issue - 2.7 amp draw on battery and when I pull M12 fuse it disappears...

·
Registered
57 Posts
The remote wire will tell the amp relay when to open and close, or turn the amp on and off. If the remote wire is not hooked up, then the amp should remain in the on position this drawing power. The draw from the battery will vary when the stereo is on. It is constant when the Jeep is off because the internal capacitors in the amp are charged. When the amp is actually in use those capacitors are what the amp uses to provide the extra watts it needs. The vehicle will "recharge" them when it is running. You can see an example of this when someone has a really loud system and the lights dim when the bass drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I'm curious to know what you found out on this? I have the same issue - 2.7 amp draw on battery and when I pull M12 fuse it disappears...
How long are you waiting before you look at parasitic draw?

I checked this on my '14 HR, and it dropped to about 10mA after a few minutes.
Leave your meter in place for a bit, there are look ahead features, as well as fuel system leak testing that goes on with KOEO.
I don't remember how long it took. But I do remember it was pretty consistent.
Hth,

·
Registered
144 Posts
How long are you waiting before you look at parasitic draw? I checked this on my '14 HR, and it dropped to about 10mA after a few minutes. Leave your meter in place for a bit, there are look ahead features, as well as fuel system leak testing that goes on with KOEO. I don't remember how long it took. But I do remember it was pretty consistent. Hth,
Thanks I did this and it did drop from 2.7 amps to .50 amps after a minute. However I think .50 amps is still too high. Most are saying 50 miliamps not 500 miliamps is normal. So I still have a drain somewhere.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Thanks I did this and it did drop from 2.7 amps to .50 amps after a minute. However I think .50 amps is still too high. Most are saying 50 miliamps not 500 miliamps is normal. So I still have a drain somewhere.
Yeah, that is still too high.
I take it, it was consistent after that first drop?

I don't get excited up to 20mA, but above that, I'll start looking for issues.
I never took the time to see if it incrementally dropped, or just a single step. Once it hit 10mA, I was happy.
Think I was being lazy. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts