Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a weird problem with the battery draining and horn not working for the last several months on my 2013 JKUR. The symptoms were the battery would go dead every couple of days and the horn stopped working. The horn would beep when I locked and unlocked the doors from the key fob. I had just had an oil pressure gauge put in when these things all started happening.

The garage that installed the gauge trouble shot the horn through the clock spring in the steering column and thought it was the horn button. He said the air bag had to be replaced along with the horn button. I was skeptical and told him I would take it to the dealer to have it checked out. I went to the dealer and told the service writer that it had been checked through the clock spring and the clock spring was good. After they troubleshot for the entire day they said it was the clock spring and that it would be replaced under warranty. Knowing the clock springs were a weak part, I told them to go ahead and replace it. At the next appointment to have the clock spring replaced, they called me up about noon and told me they replaced the clock spring and it did not fix the problem. Somehow, that did not surprise me. They troubleshot the rest of the day and had no idea what the problem was. At that point, I was worried about them making things worse and had them put everything back together and give me back my Jeep. I then took the Jeep to an independent garage who had a sharp young mechanic with Chrysler experience look at it. It turned out to be the cruise control module thought the horn button was depressed and was causing a lot of chatter on the electrical buss all the time which was draining the battery. He replaced the cruise control module in the steering wheel and all problems went away. The real issue that made it so hard to diagnose was it being a buss communication and computer chip problem. All the other mechanics did not seem to know how to understand what was going on with that communication buss. There also did not seem to be any documentation that showed the horn button went through the cruise control module.

I think the original problem was caused by the mechanic that installed the oil pressure gauge when he tried to connect the dash lighting to the gauge lighting by using a wire in the steering column. I think he fried something in the cruise control module which caused all the problems.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts