Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 JKU Rubicon and it has been sounding like the battery was low on power when starting but always started until today when I had to jump start it. The problem started last week after I was caught in a fluke unexpected rain storm while top and doorless but I do not know if that has anything to do with the problem. Today I started to smell a Sulfur smell and noticed that the battery was very hot. Before I replace the battery I want to make sure it is not being overcharged so does anyone know what the voltage should be. Could it be the voltage regulator and if so how hard of a change? Thanks in advance for any info you could provide

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
If you measure the voltage across the terminals with the engine running, it shouldn't be more than 14.2 - 14.4 volts. If it is, you are overcharging.

I'm guessing that there is an internal short in the battery and it's time for a new one which would account for the poor start and the overheating. A shorted battery isn't a good thing. I would get it checked/replaced as soon as I could.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I would get it out of there. They can blow.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
go to walmart and get a new size 34 ASAP

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I would get it out of there. They can blow.
You ain't kiddin'.

Remove and replace the battery immediately. Wear overkill appropriate PPE. Be afraid, very afraid. I've seen them blow and it is a rainstorm of sulfuric acid.
Oh, it can combust too. You've got that going for you.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Sounds like an internal short in one cell making your 12 volt battery in to a 10 volt battery.
It will still start the engine [slowly] but then the alternator senses the low voltage and trys to bring it up overcharging the the other 5 cells.This is more common than you think with flooded cell battery's in a high vibration situation like a Jeep and off road use. Only solution replace battery. Recommend AGM battery as they are more resistant to vibration damage

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pull the alternator and have it checked. Been through this before on another vehicle. Sounds like your alternator is overcharging the battery. Don't continue to run it or it could explode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts