Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my '13 JKU to the dealer for some recall work on the power side mirror. Two days later, my battery's dead. Even better is that the day AFTER they did the work, my basic warranty ran out. The electric work followed by dead battery seemed fishy. Thought maybe there might've been a short in some of the new wiring that drained the battery or something, but they say there's a bad cell and that it's a goner. Of course there's no way to prove that anything they did has anything to do with the battery, so whatever. Anyone had any similar issues with your battery at such low mileage (36k)?

Anyway, my point (or question): since I'm replacing a battery, I'm trying to decide between an Autocraft Platinum, an Optima Red Top, or something else. Are the Platinum and Red Top worth the extra money? Are the rumors about the dip in Optima's quality true? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I paid the extra money for the platinum because I sometimes use a winch and sometimes the weather here drops below zero. The platinum has more cranking power which is helpful for low temps and is able to better handle running accessories. I've been happy with it so far.

If you don't run anything extra, don't have cold temps and use it as a DD then you would probably be ok not running a platinum or red top.

-Tony

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I paid the extra money for the platinum because I sometimes use a winch and sometimes the weather here drops below zero. The platinum has more cranking power which is helpful for low temps and is able to better handle running accessories. I've been happy with it so far.

If you don't run anything extra, don't have cold temps and use it as a DD then you would probably be ok not running a platinum or red top.

-Tony
But you like the Platinum over the Red Top?

·
Registered
783 Posts
My auto guy refuses to sell me optama anymore, he used to be happy to sell them but not the last few years. He has them but won't sell them lol. I'm actually headed there today to get some other brand gel battery, I'll post a pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
My factory battery was gone at 40k miles, i bought the Jeep used with 30k miles or so, and i have no idea what type of accessories the first owner ran through it. i just walked into my local Oreilly, and asked for a battery for my model Jeep, then i upped the min CCA needed, ended up with a Super Start battery Platinum, 760 CCA if i remember correctly, and 3 years warranty, more than enough power to crank the Jeep and run multiple accessories, And if it's fails in 3 years, i get a free replacement at any Oreilly around the country, no questions asked.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I live in the toughest place in the U.S. on batteries, and swear by WalMart. They offer an unconditional 5-year warranty, but we have rarely needed it because they hold up. Oh...and they are inexpensive also ($100).

·
Registered
258 Posts
So I took my '13 JKU to the dealer for some recall work on the power side mirror. Two days later, my battery's dead. Even better is that the day AFTER they did the work, my basic warranty ran out. The electric work followed by dead battery seemed fishy. Thought maybe there might've been a short in some of the new wiring that drained the battery or something, but they say there's a bad cell and that it's a goner. Of course there's no way to prove that anything they did has anything to do with the battery, so whatever. Anyone had any similar issues with your battery at such low mileage (36k)? Anyway, my point (or question): since I'm replacing a battery, I'm trying to decide between an Autocraft Platinum, an Optima Red Top, or something else. Are the Platinum and RedTop worth the extra money? Are the rumors about the dip in Optima's quality true? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I like the DieHard platinum. I would use the Optima batteries too, never used one though.

Stay far away from cheap batteries.

·
Premium Member
6,907 Posts
Anyone had any similar issues with your battery at such low mileage (36k)?
I replaced the battery in our '13, mainly because I've heard that the OEM battery generally lasts about 3 years. I decided to replace it when it was convenient for me and not when I had to. It was about a month shy of 3 years old.

I replaced it with an Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MT48/H6, 6-yr warranty.

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
The best luck and the one that lasted the longest, and that was also fleet use, is the Interstate batteries, and that is the one I trust....

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
The factory battery on my 2013 died after only 2.5 years. My Jeep barely started and there was an Autozone close by so I went with a Duralast Gold battery, it was not my first choice, but I needed a working battery.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
OEM batteries have a reputation for failing early and many do. After all, they are not covered by any warranty (read the fine print in yours) neither are brake pads. I have had some fail early and some last far beyond the expected 3 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts