Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1992 2.5l battery is brand new, new alternator.Charges to 14 volts when driving but as soon as I shut it off it immediately dies. I have to jump start it every time. Any ideas?:atomic:,

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Could be a draw or the alternator. Rebuilt alternators are bad sometimes. You start from the battery and run off of the alternator. If the alternator has an internal short or regulator issue your YJ will act as you describe.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My 1992 2.5l battery is brand new, new alternator.Charges to 14 volts when driving but as soon as I shut it off it immediately dies. I have to jump start it every time. Any ideas?:atomic:,
Sounds like either a bad battery connection or the battery is bad itself.

It seems from your description that the alternator is working (14 volts) and keeps the Jeep running.

If there was a short that was enough to kill the battery "immediately", I don't think that the alternator would be able to supply 14 V while the engine was running.

Clean the battery terminals and cables first.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Have you used a multimeter and tested the voltage on the battery when the rig is off? If so, what are you getting?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I have tested the battery with the jeep off and got right around 12 volts.I have disconnect everything Except the lead going to the starter and the lead going to the fuse box. I just put on new terminals with the new battery.

·
Registered
638 Posts
So is this immediate or over night? Sorry I'm a bit confused :p

If you jump start it, turn it off and immediately turn try to start it (non jumpered), it's possible (but unlikely) that the starter needs a little bit more oomph (usually it's the battery or alternator but you've already checked those). You can always have your starter tested. I've seen it happen before.

If it's happening after sitting overnight then most likely you have a draw somewhere. You can unhook your negative cable form the battery, hook your multimeter between the battery and cable and start pulling fuses until the Voltage reads zero or damn close to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is happening immediately after shutting the engine off but it has now turned intermittent it only will not start sometimes. I had the starter tested but I know they said my friends starter was good to and it wasn't so I am just going to buy a new starter since mine is still the original starter from the factory.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When you jump where do you ground to? You might have a bad grounds to the block and when you jump start the jeep it "bypasses" the issue. Check the ground wires. Could also be the starter, solenoid, or the wires leading to those parts...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts