Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I go to start my 89' last night and I get nothing, just my seatbelt light..... so I end up push starting it and going home thinking, maybe something stupid on my part drained the battery like the radio(which I didn't wire up) and it'll charge up a bit on the way home. In the morning, nothing.
So I checked all the grounds, check the starter, etc. I can't find a thing.
I've had close to the same thing happen to me recently, both occassions it had been very wet and rainy, and I changed the battery and it was fine....but now I have a brand new battery. Anyone seen anything like this before?

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
When you have your key off/out does your radio still turn on? If so then there isn't a remote wire hooked up.

Otherwise it seems like your alternator is going out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you would think so right? I ended up fixing it on a hunch last night, it was my strater solenoid not engaging because of corrosion probably, I just knocked it with a wrench a few times and the thing started right up........ jeeps....

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Glad you figured it out. Sometimes it's just the damndest things.

·
Registered
119 Posts
wiring in jeeps has always been a pain in the a$$ the best thing we can do is make sure the body and the chassis are well grounded do this by running a 10 gauge wire from the negative terminal on the battery to the firewall and one to the frame that way all electric things are grounded you will be suprised what a difference it will make

·
Registered
145 Posts
Think jeeps are bad? Try wiring in a Jaguar.....What a nightmare, I'm more than happy to work on my jeep wiring.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That's funny, mine did the exact same thing this morning. I'm pulling the starter this weekend to clean it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
make sure you clean the mating surface on the engine as well as the starter this will insure a proper ground and longer life of the starter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts