Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a battery go dead on my '92 YJ with 4.0. It looks like options for a group 58 battery are shrinking. Mainly you can get a silver level battery which is a 2 year warranty. Did find at Autozone a gold with a 3 year warranty.

I was thinking of stepping into a AGM battery but they don't appear available for a group 58. Thinking about trying a group 65 size AGM battery in the stock battery tray. Anyone else doing this?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yep. I have a group 65 in mine. Fills up the whole battery try just right. Lol.

Attachments

Reactions: sequel

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I have a group 34 and it barely works with the factory hold downs

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have a 65 in both mine had to change the cables for longer ones other than that no mods, could be PO's had already put in longer J-bolts I don't know. Get at least a 800 CCA battery

·
Registered
947 Posts
Did you fab up different hold downs? Did you have to alter the tray at all?

BTW, thanks for the feedback and posting a pic.
Well the PO had a CAT tractor battery that was way to big to fit anywhere so it was bungy corded in. I did not have the factory tie downs so i did have to fab up my own but it was so simple anyone can do it in about 10 minutes.

I used a piece of angle aluminum and two new J hooks. Just mark and cut the angle aluminum to length and drill two holes for the J hooks. Then i just hooked the J hooks around the the two battery tray supports. It is rock solid.

Attachments

Reactions: SoCalC101CJYJTJ

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Group 58 Interstates are still available at Costco relatively inexpensively. Optima’s fit with plenty of room to spare, as pictured in my ‘92 (mine is a 34-78). The pic with the red valve cover is a ‘95 I recently sold to a friend, with a Group 65, no cable rerouting necessary for this one, and OE hold down works fine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up going with an Interstate group 58 battery from Costco. For $70 and a 3 year warranty it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,933 Posts
I ended up going with an Interstate group 58 battery from Costco. For $70 and a 3 year warranty it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Been pricing batteries for my dual battery tray. That was a good deal, What was the CCA on that Interstate?

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,933 Posts
On 87-90 the stock tray 10.25 to 10.5 inches long depending on the base of the battery. 6.5 wide due to the stops in the middle of the battery braces.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Well the PO had a CAT tractor battery that was way to big to fit anywhere so it was bungy corded in. I did not have the factory tie downs so i did have to fab up my own but it was so simple anyone can do it in about 10 minutes.

I used a piece of angle aluminum and two new J hooks. Just mark and cut the angle aluminum to length and drill two holes for the J hooks. Then i just hooked the J hooks around the the two battery tray supports. It is rock solid.
Dig the simple, solid fab job D!

There is not a better deal on a quality Group 58 replacement. No questions asked on the warranty. If you don’t like it in two years, carry it in, they will give you your money back, no questions asked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts